Tutorials

Hi from Cambridge

SaxCat

Good evening all (again) from Cambridge.

I've been on the old forum and re-subscribed here when you all moved over to this flash new site, but never rang the cafe's doorbell.

I play tenor and alto sax - best thing I've ever taken up. I hope to get to grips with improv one day.

Cheers,
Susanne

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Saxcat, welcome back. I don't think you missed much (only about 1,000,000,000,000 posts, that's all. So it shouldn't take you too long to catch up then! ;}

TomMapfumo

Welcome, SaxCat!

Getting to grips with improvisation is a piece of p@*s really - choose a pentatonic scale and get some rhythm. Hope you have a great time here, and ask away - always fun to engage around a meaningful personal query (learning through enquiry!)

Have a good day
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
S

SaxCat

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Tom - this is what I'm doing at the moment with the F Blues (Tootsie) in Maiden Voyage. To start with, I've cut the backing track to 12 bars in Audacity and am trying to stick to one scale though adding interest to the melody is a challenge. Let's see how I go.

Any other pointers gratefully received.

Thanks.
Susanne

Emma

Hello Susanne

Welcome back to the forum. I am also from Cambridge!

If you want to have a go at improvisation there is a group running at Croydon (near Arrington) on Thursday nights where we all play several jazz numbers & have a go at improvising. Don't be too alarmed though - I did not have a clue about improvising, chords etc (still don't) & most of my improvising is guess work!

Several people from this forum attend along with others. There are a range of abilities, with me playing the majority of bum notes! but it is fun and everyone is very friendly and helpful & there is a concert at the end of each term where all the groups play to each other.

The guy who runs is it Ray Batson & information about it is here; www.jazz4all.me.uk

Regards
Emma

OP
S

SaxCat

Thanks for the info Emma. I play in a group already - we don't do much improvising though, but great fun nevertheless. I'm not sure whether I can make the Thursday group as well. Let's see. Can you just turn up anytime or would I have to wait for a new course start?

Regards,
Susanne

Emma

You can turn up at any time - Just let Ray know - I started half way through a term. What other group do you play in?

Regards
Emma

Top Bottom