All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hi from a very newbie

Another Colin

I'm a long time music teacher, arranger, trombonist, lower brass, EWI and keyboardist and I am fed up with audience members telling me that saxophones are sexier. So I've taken the plunge and bought a 2nd hand baritone saxophone (always fancied one) from Paul Warner. It arrived this afternoon. Thanks Paul. Now making low grunting noises.

This DOES NOT mean saxophones actually are sexier than trombones, you understand.>:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Colin

Have fun here. I guess Paul Warned you what you were in for....

This DOES NOT mean saxophones actually are sexier than trombones, you understand.>:)
Guess you're a soloist, not a group player.:)))

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Colin,

Welcome to the madhouse. It won't be long before the sax collection increases and everything else diminishes into insignificance!

Cheers,

Amanda

TomMapfumo

Now making low grunting noises.
So, you have already mastered the Baritone, then.........................................:shocked::w00t:;}

I would have said that the trombone is definitely sexier than playing baritone, which is why I only play the former:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moSUwYdC1E rather than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQGa0i12Fk

They both have the same range but you can get a trombone for about £150, and it weighs just over a kilo or so.
No contest!

A Big Welcome to the Forum from a fellow trombonist and member of the Skabertawe Horn section.
Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Pete C

Hi Colin. Sorry mate but someone should have told you, baritone saxes aren't sexy at all, only tenors.......

welcome to the forum

Pete

Sunray

Hey Hey Colin ...

Welcome to the Cafe mate ...

:dontgetit: I don't understand this thing about wanting to play an instrument to be more sexy ...
I play sax because I reckon it just the best ... :sax:

My missus says I am a sexy bloke with or without the sax ... :w00t:

Not bad after 44 years of married bliss ... :thumb:

saxnik

Welcome Colin,

Just don't smile when you play - helps the embouchure and adds to the allure...

Nick

Another Colin

Thanks Tom, Nik, Amanda, Jim, Pete and Sunray, etal
Wife and I are the horn section in a ska band in Northampton.
She doubles trumpet and tenor sax (multitasker) while I play trombone and sometimes EWI.
I'm having to drop jazz gigs because the ska band is busy.

I bought the bari because I thought it maght prove useful to be able to go 'grivitt' ocassionally.
I also figured that my arranging skills will benefit from some playing experience. I run several jazz bands where I teach.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMartin

I would have said that the trombone is definitely sexier than playing baritone, which is why I only play the former:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moSUwYdC1E rather than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQGa0i12Fk
OTOH,

They both have the same range but you can get a trombone for about £150, and it weighs just over a kilo or so.
No contest!
But it sounds like a trombone instead of a saxophone. I agree: no contest.

Welcome from me, too. I just took up the bari a few weeks ago.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Colin.

If you want to play a really sexy instrument, join Andy, me and others on the five string and choose between clawhammer, 'grass and British Orchestral.

ENJOY!​™

Jazzaferri

My welcome comes with a warning, the denizens of this forum are even more eccentric than on SOTW

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi Colin. Sorry mate but someone should have told you, baritone saxes aren't sexy at all, only tenors.......

welcome to the forum

Pete
Yes, but when you hit someone with a bari, they stay hit....:w00t:

Welcome from Marcher country

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Welcome to the caff©, Colin.

If you want to play a really sexy instrument, join Andy, me and others on the five string

ENJOY!​™
Oh yes! New DVD due out "Red Hot and Confused" You'll have to decide which is which.
Oh and Hiya Colin.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Colin and welcome from a fellow Northamptonite (albeit only just!) Funnily enough, I too bought a bari from Paul!
I was introduced to this video by Trev aka Saxlicker, who is also member of this wonderful forum, and I firmly believe that this is one of the sexiest baritone pieces I've ever heard! I hope you agree and enjoy.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Must have missed this before.One of my favourites from when I was a lad. Really good version, must learn to play it. Thanks Pete.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom