Tutorials

Hi freom Durham UK

PCthug

Hi, just joined.

Let me introduce myself.

Name is Matt, and 40 years old from Durham in the NE of the UK.
Always fancied learning the sax, but never got round to it.
Yesterday i bought a Trevor James Classic, and quite looking forward to starting out.
I have NEVER played musical instruments before and cant read music, so it is going to be a steep learning curve.

Would appreciate any tips, or advice, or any help from anyone local to me.

thehunt

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum, i'm not local but would suggest you get yourself a good teacher, to coin a well used phrase you need to know what it is you need to learn and have some structure to it.
As boring as it might sound you need to learn scales arpeggios etc, check Pete's pages out. Above all though enjoy playing, you will see as time progresses you will want different things from the sax, a good tone is so important so long notes can help with this.
Good luck, Phil

old git

Tremendous Bore
Durham? Hmm. Picks up guitar and launches into, "In our Durham County, I'm sorry for to say." Wonders how this Tommy Armstrong Union protest song would go on sax? That's what the saxophone does for you, take 1890 songs and experiment.

So welcome to the caff and please inform us whether it is the job to which you are referring.
Enjoy!

OP
P

PCthug

Thanks guys, i have booked my first lesson for next friday, so looking forward to that. Its costing £13 per 30 mins, seems a little over the going rate, so hope she is good.

Getting a constant tone out of it now instead of just a squawk. Still not sure if its the correct tone or not. Followed loads of online/youtube tutorials. I dont know what keys to press to practice the scale.
Years ago (about 20) i used to mess around with a mouth organ, i could knock out a few very old tunes (eidleweiss, camptown lady, wooden heart), and also the scale (C scale?), so have a slight idea how it should sound (but i stress, only slight).

CaillouSax

Thanks guys, i have booked my first lesson for next friday, so looking forward to that. Its costing £13 per 30 mins, seems a little over the going rate, so hope she is good.

Getting a constant tone out of it now instead of just a squawk. Still not sure if its the correct tone or not. Followed loads of online/youtube tutorials. I dont know what keys to press to practice the scale.
Years ago (about 20) i used to mess around with a mouth organ, i could knock out a few very old tunes (eidleweiss, camptown lady, wooden heart), and also the scale (C scale?), so have a slight idea how it should sound (but i stress, only slight).
Welcome and don't desesperate... You'll be good... as time goes by! :)

TomMapfumo

Depends what music you like but a useful tutorial book/CD to get is
"The Jazz Method for Saxophone" by John O'Neill, which starts from absolute basics up to grade 4/5 and is used by many members of the Cafe. (Available for both Alto & Tenor sax, and explains which buttons to press to produce which notes.

Anyway, big welcome from the land of Snake Davis/Anthony Hopkins/Rob Brydon/Michael Sheen/Michael Heseltine/Catherine Zeta-Jones/Rhod Gilbert!:w00t::w00t:

Hope you have alovely time as part of the local sax community, and hope that your lessons go well.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
P

PCthug

I actually like acid jazz and dance music, but realise i have to learn to crawl before entering a marathon race.
I will play absolutely anything, then see where and what direction my playing takes me (probably far away from the wife if she had her way :shocked: ).

Perhaps the style i like is the following Jamiroquia track (forward to 6 minutes)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REC8Gc1KSu0&feature=related
Not everyone taste i know, but it would be boring if we all liked the same old same old.
I will still be happy playing twinkle twinkle little star (if only i could).

I was given a book "Absolute beginners Alto Saxophone" which comes with a CD, and seem ok to begin with.
I am also thinking about the following books, but not sure which is best...
Essential Elements 2000 Alto Sax Tutor Book with CD/DVD
A New Tune A Day for Alto Saxophone Sax Book with DVD CD
PLAY ALTO SAX TODAY! with DVD

Last edited by a moderator:

saxnik

Great Track - and welcome along.

The person playing on that track is doing simple-ish stuff, albeit very well indeed - mostly one scale with Blues influences.
I fancy they've spent a lot of time practicing tone though (long notes as suggested below) because the only way you get a tone that full is with the right technique!

Good luck on your quest - hopefully it won't be too long before you're up on stage...

Nick

AdamBradley

Welcome!

There's a forum section dedicated to players poeple love to hear, take a look for inspiration (and occasionally terrifying intimidation) and suggested listening. Folks here have good taste, you can't go wrong!

TomMapfumo

No Worries - main issue around tutor materials is that lots of stuff is aimed at kids - The Jazz book is more aimed at adults, and that "Jazz" covers most modern styles, as distinct from "Classical", and will give you some pointers with regard to the sort of stuff that you like listening to/playing. There can only be so much you will be inspired by playing "she'll be coming round the mountain...." in my opinion, but there is some more appropriate stuff out there as you learn the basics.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma

Hello Matt,

Welcome to the forum. I was pretty much in the same position as you when I started playing the sax just over a year ago, couldn't read music & had only played the recorder at school - now a year on my sight reading is much better and am enjoying the sax very much. I pay £25 per hour for my lessons, which is about the going rate.

Emma

Altolady

Hi Matt and welcome. Sax is very addictive and you'll be knocking out tunes in no time. My first 'tune' was Happy Birthday to my friend, 2 weeks after starting. Thought I was the bee's knees ;}
Good luck and enjoy!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi pcthug

Welcome from sunny Manchester if you want an easy learning book I recommend abracadabra the way to learn through songs and tunes,comes with cd the sax playing on it is awful so your immediately better than the teacher.Honestly it is a good book.John:)

Earlier in the thread you mentioned Essential Elements 2000. Several of us are taken with the software from Smartmusic which comes with the book. The free version is a bit broken, with glitches from time to time. However, check it out because smartmusic software will fast track your learning experience. I love it and I'm not alone. The registered version is $30 dollars per annum and would still be cheap at 4 x the price. Also feel free to check out my blog on the site 'One way of getting started'. Have lots of fun, we do and welcome to a fantastic resource.

Top Bottom