support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi everyone, ex brass player trying to learn saxophone!

Jobylou

Locality
Chipping Campden
Hello
Having got to Grade 7 on tenor horn (brass) at the age of 17, I started working to Grade 8 and then decided to quit playing altogether! Some 20 years later I decided to try and teach myself an instrument that I would dearly love to be able to play - Alto Saxophone.
I bought a very cheap Stagg instrument off eBay :shocked: which actually doesn't sound too bad! It's my birthday in 2 months though and I am going to have a yamaha 275 (already bought and hidden).
I am really enjoying playing an instrument (although I must admit my little dog runs away and hides when it comes out of the case!)
I am near Chipping Campden in the Cotswolds.
Looking forward to learning lots on this forum.
Jo :)

Hello Jobylou. I promise you you will learn nowt from me, I am a dog torturere too. Welcome.
Mike

Welcome Jobylou, to the Cafe.
I'm sure you'll be able to teach us a thing or two, with your musical knowledge.
Ask lots of questions, we're a really friendly bunch. :)))

I don't have a dog, so can't comment on whether I torture one or not. :D

My 3 teenagers have yet to complain!! but I know when I've practiced too much as they start to sing along :))) :)))

Hi, welcome. My fish cringe when I play, so you're in good company...

Watcha Mate ...

Hey Hey Jobylou ...

Welcome to the Cafe ...

You still have a dog? Wossup wiv ya! - ;}

There ain't a dog, cat or neighbour for miles around me ... :shocked:

They all left ages ago ... :)))

Hi Jo

Welcome from me too. My dog either howls, barks or hides and flinches when I play. I have told him to get his act together if he wants to come busking with me lol!!

Hubby suggested I try the triangle and our son told me a veuvuzela would be cheaper! :shocked:

Jx

Welcome aboard Jo.

I thought my spaniel was deaf........until she started howling at my sax playing!

Cheers,
Amanda

Our cat can just about cope with the tenor, but when the sop comes out he's straight through the cat flap.

Hi Everyone
Thank you for such a warm welcome!
Glad I am not on my own then with terrifying the animals! lol
Jo

Welcome to the caff©, Jo.

Dickie Hawdon used to play horns in the Johnny Dankworth band and did solos. Interesting voicings and down the the arranger but different. Also remember that good players always sound good, whatever horn they are using, vide Parker and I sound terrible on everything.

ENJOY!

Hi There!

A big welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in Wales, mind! As someone who plays both sax and some brass (trumpet and trombone) I am sure that being a member of the forum should provide you with some encouragement and a true sense of belonging. So, welcome to the crew.

Kind regards
Tom

Welcome to the cafe, I wish I could scare animals, my neighbourhood is full of them and they all use my garden as their communal toilet!!!

Hmmmmm, do you think they're trying to tell me something?

Welcome to the cafe, I wish I could scare animals, my neighbourhood is full of them and they all use my garden as their communal toilet!!!

Hmmmmm, do you think they're trying to tell me something?

For a small fee i'll come and blow my sop, they'll soon be gone!

Jx

Hi Jobylou

Welcome aboard your in good company here as you can tell,personally I'm so good I only practice when I'm completely alone and the neighbourhood is deserted ...john

Hi Jobylou

Welcome aboard your in good company here as you can tell,personally I'm so good I only practice when I'm completely alone and the neighbourhood is deserted ...john

And his cats moved out years ago... >:)

Hello
Having got to Grade 7 on tenor horn (brass) at the age of 17, I started working to Grade 8 and then decided to quit playing altogether! Some 20 years later I decided to try and teach myself an instrument that I would dearly love to be able to play - Alto Saxophone.
I bought a very cheap Stagg instrument off eBay :shocked: which actually doesn't sound too bad! It's my birthday in 2 months though and I am going to have a yamaha 275 (already bought and hidden).
I am really enjoying playing an instrument (although I must admit my little dog runs away and hides when it comes out of the case!)
I am near Chipping Campden in the Cotswolds.
Looking forward to learning lots on this forum.
Jo :)

Hi Jobylou

I done they same as you, I was a brass player for 20 odd years and then decided I needed a new challenge in my life and bought an Alto, you will enjoy the Yamaha, IMO they are the best student sax's out there. You will have an advantage over non brass players when playing the sax when it comes to harmonics (just like brass) and using your diaphram to support the air sream. The biggest surprise for me was how much your larynx comes into play, its just like signing!!!

M

Back
Top Bottom