All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hi all

Martin Northeast

Hi I'm Martin from England I am currently serving in the British Royal Navy somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. I have been dabbling with the sax for many many years but have started to take it seriously. As I am away a lot at the moment I am teaching myself. I did have some lessons with a Sargent from the Royal Marines Band Portsmouth but due to service commitments from the both of us I had to stop but I hope to take them up again when I get back. My dream is to play Going Home by Dire Straits with the ships band on our way back from a deployment and maybe in a actual band one day. On that note if anyone knows where I can get the music score for Going Home I would greatly appreciate them letting me know.

If by chance anyone PM's me or gets in touch please don't think I'm ignoring you, it probably means I'm at sea but will get in touch as soon as I touch dry land

Anyway I look forward to being a member of this forum and all that it might bring in my progression to play the sax and to hearing from anyone who wishes to get in touch.

Cheers fro taking the time to read this.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Martin and a big welcome from me.

Hope your shipmates are a tolerant bunch...

Join in here, good guys & gals!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi Martin

Welcome to the cafe:)

I hope you achieve your dream, have you searched the net for the score?

Jx

visionari1

Hi Martin,
Welcome aboard.
Best of luck practising on the ship must be rather hot in the Arabian Gulf.
Going home don't know where to find the tune. "Goin Home" is a fantastic Album by Saxophonist Archie Shepp and Horace Parlane, well worth a listen if you can.

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

llamedos

Hi there Martin, welcome from me too.
For some reason your name makes me think of Shoreham - is that your home port by any chance?

Dave

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Welcome, and may you have peace in calm warm waters. "Goin' home" sounds like an appropriate wish to me. Sorry i can't help, but there is a beautiful song that's taken from the New World Symphony called "Going Home", which makes a beautiful balad. Would work for a solo.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Martin.

Grey Funnel Line, eh? One of our resident techs, Griff, is an ex RM, if you can ever be ex.

ENJOY!​™

navarro

Hi Martin, welcome to the cafe and fair weather sailing. You will enjoy it here. Best regards N.

Martin Northeast

Hi Kev,
Thank you for my warm welcome.

Luckily being a chef we have big store rooms deep down in the ship so I go down there and shut the hatch behind me so I don't disturb the rest of the ship my squeaks witch are quite often at the moment.

Martin Northeast

Hi Jeanette

Thank you for the welcome.

I have searched everywhere on the net for the score. I will just have to wait till I get a bit more of a musical ear and try to pick to score out from a recording.

Martin Northeast

Hi Visionari1

Thank you for the warm welcome. It is a bit hot out here but you get used to it after a while and we have been out here for nearly 3 months.

The score I am looking for is the theme tune to Local Hero and the version is from Dire Straits live album call Alchemy. If you haven't heard it, it is worth a listen Mel Collins plays the sax, it is what made me want to pick up the sax in the first place.

Martin Northeast

Hi Jim

Thank you for welcoming me. I hope I find the music too or its going to be long time listen to the track to write it down note by note.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom