support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi All - absolute newby alert!

Brian Webber

In the words of Bowie - "I've nothing much to offer, There's nothing much to take, I'm an absolute beginner..." I have an old Trevor James Alto - Revolution with factory mouthpiece and ligature. I bought it 20 years ago with ambitions to play but never learned... it literally has stayed under the bed since... until lockdown began 3 months ago and I decided to learn to play... The neighbours love it :oops:

Welcome to the Café.

Theres more information on here than you can shake a stick at! Are you taking lessons currently?
20 year old sax thats not been played much and very likely not been serviced either? hows it working???

Well done on picking it up and starting to play it!!!!

Hi Hammie - Thank you for the welcome - I'm already overwhelmed with the amount of info here so hopefully will unpick itl as I go along. My Sax hasn't been serviced but seems to work ok... though not sure same can be said for the player ;) I have replaced the neck cork and some corks that had 'dropped off'.... so all is ok for mo, though I suspect that it will need a bit of an inspection at some stage... :)

Just to take the guess work out of it, Id get it looked at to be sure all the pads are sealing properly and that theres nothing "holding you back" or causing an issue your putting down to being a learner!

No point you getting frustrated unnecessarily!!! Wind instruments can be frustrating enough without issues!

For a bit of inspiration, dont forget to check out the Melody of the month and song of the month......
Alot of members (who feel they can do it some justice) upload their versions / attempts at the songs for others to hear!

Whilst i havent posted anything myself in them, I always follow the threads and give them a go! Always a good way to get yourself some sheet music and backing tracks to learn timing etc too!!!!! Im not at the point where i can play to the backing music yet, but ill keep trying until something clicks or i throw the computer out the window in a fit of rage lol ;)

Welcome!
Agree with all mentioning a service on your horn. Not too costly and really helps reduce the frustration level as you begin your journey!

Welcome Brian. Every journey begins with a single step. All of us are learners.
Thanks Clive - Its a noisy endeavour and I'm not sure why I didn't choose something quieter to pursue during lock down :/ But I'm already seeing some progress and growing in confidence.. I have some musical background with piano and guitar so have the theory... Am applying the same approach to the sax - of practicing scales and arpeggios for at least 1 to 2 hours each day followed by some easy jazz ballad pieces :)....

Welcome to the Cafe and the saxophone. You could have chosen something quieter, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Enjoy the journey. Nice to have you here.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom