All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hey Jude,New MP and Sax

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
A very quick played :( and ruff mixed version of Hey Jude on my new alto and new mp.Trying to get to know them :))):))):))) .

Last edited by a moderator:

thesaxman71

much clearer than the other post, i can hear the tone much better, very sweet sounding with a direct and constant tone through the range.

daveysaxboy

much clearer than the other post, i can hear the tone much better, very sweet sounding with a direct and constant tone through the range.

Cheers.It is what it is a very quick take,quicky mix just getting my chops and fingers going on the new toys.We boys love new toys.

Wade Cornell

Can't remember if I've ever heard you playing alto before now. Your playing is excellent as usual which makes it hard to comment too much about the equipment. I did notice that your open middle C# is quite flat. New instruments can be difficult as few have perfect intonation and so we adapt to those individual quirks, but can carry forward our adaptation to new instruments and play them out of tune until we re-adjust. I've got no idea what's true in this case, but it stood out.

Certainly can't fault your playing abilities, but wonder if you play alto much, if at all? You've got a distinct sound and feel when playing Tenor and also a different (and very good) tone and feel for soprano. This is IMHO how it should be. Each instrument has its own voice and feel, so requires a different style of playing. When I hear your alto playing it's exactly the same as your tenor playing, which is good, but doesn't embody the unique quality/timbre of the alto. I'm being very picky here, and frankly playing well (if the same) on several instruments is I guess more than OK. Just that you have such different and beautifully unique styles on tenor and soprano it would seem fitting to have the same for alto.

Hopefully you're taking this all as a compliment as there are few (if any) I'd bother to be this picky with. The rest of us are still trying to get our chops together.

daveysaxboy

Can't remember if I've ever heard you playing alto before now. Your playing is excellent as usual which makes it hard to comment too much about the equipment. I did notice that your open middle C# is quite flat. New instruments can be difficult as few have perfect intonation and so we adapt to those individual quirks, but can carry forward our adaptation to new instruments and play them out of tune until we re-adjust. I've got no idea what's true in this case, but it stood out.

Certainly can't fault your playing abilities, but wonder if you play alto much, if at all? You've got a distinct sound and feel when playing Tenor and also a different (and very good) tone and feel for soprano. This is IMHO how it should be. Each instrument has its own voice and feel, so requires a different style of playing. When I hear your alto playing it's exactly the same as your tenor playing, which is good, but doesn't embody the unique quality/timbre of the alto. I'm being very picky here, and frankly playing well (if the same) on several instruments is I guess more than OK. Just that you have such different and beautifully unique styles on tenor and soprano it would seem fitting to have the same for alto.

Hopefully you're taking this all as a compliment as there are few (if any) I'd bother to be this picky with. The rest of us are still trying to get our chops together.

As said i hate playing alto Wade.Really only do when i need to for certain gigging work.I've posted a fair lump on alto stuff on here.I agree theres a few notes here and there.I dont put in enough time in on alto to play it any different from my tenor playing.Like you tenor,soprano is my bag really.New mp and horn and only a few hours on it so i will settle more in time.If i never played alto again i would not mind.When you here a great full time alto cat you know there an alto cat.Always good to hear your thoughts Wade and thanks for checking it out.

daveysaxboy

ps, just had a fresh listen and its crap !!!! :))) its off now.May do again with better alto chops when i have a little more alto time :(.

Greg Strange

ps, just had a fresh listen and its crap !!!! :))) its off now.May do again with better alto chops when i have a little more alto time :(.

Actually I enjoyed your version of "Hey Jude" - that Stephanhouser alto and Metallite combination really sang, especially when you're only just getting to grips with the horn...(and you hate playing alto!?)

How about next time doing a version on clarinet...:)))

You should re-instate the tune...

Greg S.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom