Hey All

Hi! So I currently play clarinet, recorder and ocarina. Ocarina for 3 years and recorder for many years. I played clarinet in school for 5 years and dropped it (had a difficult band experience) and have picked clarinet back up in the last year. I now would like to teach myself to play sax, and that's why I'm here! Hoping to see y'all around :)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes!

Welcome.

Have you decided which size of saxophone you want to play?
I've recently acquired a tenor sax and am contemplating overhauling it and learning on it. If not, I'll be on the lookout to purchase a decent student alto sax and try that. I just want to try something new, something different, ya know? ;)

Maybe since your recently acquired saxophone is getting an overhaul you could try it out first.

I love the sound of a tenor sax, but found it a bit on the heavy side which is why I stuck to alto but you might just fall in love with the tenor. Either way you’ll have lots of fun.

Have you played any other instrument?

Maybe since your recently acquired saxophone is getting an overhaul you could try it out first.

I love the sound of a tenor sax, but found it a bit on the heavy side which is why I stuck to alto but you might just fall in love with the tenor. Either way you’ll have lots of fun.

Have you played any other instrument?
I'm definitely contemplating the tenor sax!
And yes - I play clarinet, recorder and ocarina.

Oh that’s right. The clarinet. I’d forgotten already. That IS actually very cool. I used to play recorder too. What’s an ocarina? I realize I can look it up but I wanted to ask.
My Ocarinas
Ocarinas are similar to recorders in their range and sound - the timbre is just a bit different and the range depends on the size you get. And they are made in MANY different keys. They can be commonly found In soprano, alto, tenor and bass.
In the picture, there are three types:
Far left (big ones with lotsa toneholes) - Triple ocarina - these have three chambers to play (two can be played at the same time) and cover about 2 and a half octaves.
Middle - These are called Transverse and cover about an octave and a half.
*Triple and Transverse ocarinas are similar to recorders in how they're played finger-wise as they're pretty linear and the main deviation is when you play sharps and flats. These are also more uniform with their key choices - personally, all of mine are in C.
Far right - These are pendant ocarinas, found in either 4 hole or 6 hole normally - these cover an octave and some very small change. These are made in literally every key.

Top Bottom