All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Help

Roy Gussman

I am in my 80th year and finding life very complicated and need some help.
I have been playing the Tenor Sax now for about three years and I think I play reasonably well except for one particular note which is 'D' in the middle scale. I have had this latest Tenor for about a year its a Buffet Crampon series 400 and checked out by my friend who is a profesional player and he says there is nothing wrong with the Sax. My problem is that I will play mainly balads like songs from the 1930 and 40's and for the first couple of songs I play the D note with no problem but when I get to the third song and come to the D note it go's sky high then subconciousely I correct it and the next time it plays ok and then it happens again, so I cant garrentee to play without playing this bum note. My tutor has retired so I can't ask him. This never happened with my old Tenot a Elhart or my Alto.

This bring me to my next problem and that is the Tutor Directory which does not give an address or a telephne number is it me or the directory. If it is me than I need to be "put down" or change my Tenor.:confused:

teebones

Subscriber
I am in my 80th year and finding life very complicated and need some help.
I have been playing the Tenor Sax now for about three years and I think I play reasonably well except for one particular note which is 'D' in the middle scale. I have had this latest Tenor for about a year its a Buffet Crampon series 400 and checked out by my friend who is a profesional player and he says there is nothing wrong with the Sax. My problem is that I will play mainly balads like songs from the 1930 and 40's and for the first couple of songs I play the D note with no problem but when I get to the third song and come to the D note it go's sky high then subconciousely I correct it and the next time it plays ok and then it happens again, so I cant garrentee to play without playing this bum note. My tutor has retired so I can't ask him. This never happened with my old Tenot a Elhart or my Alto.

This bring me to my next problem and that is the Tutor Directory which does not give an address or a telephne number is it me or the directory. If it is me than I need to be "put down" or change my Tenor.:confused:
Hi gusev I am suprised no one has replied to your post :shocked:

My thought is you are nipping up the reed.

I don't think you need to "be down" you are to young for that :))) or change your tenor :w00t:

Where are you Sunray gusev needs your help >:)

Teebones :mrcool

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I sometimes have a similar problem on sop only it happens occasionally with D but mainly G. I haven't made my mind up yet what is causing it except I think it is more down to me than the sax. I think some reeds make it worse than others and assume it is something to do with the air flow/tonguing or shape of my throat. Be interested to here if anyone knows what it is.

Sorry I haven't helped much but at least you are not alone and certainly don't need putting down.;}

Jx

Sunray

Hey Hey Gus ...

I would reply to you via PM but I know you don't like to use that system so I will email you instead mate ...

It's a bit late tonight but I will do it tomorrow without fail ...

I can probably get over to yours sometime in the next few days if you wish ...

In the meantime, don't go worrying or making any rash decisions mate ...

Cheers for now ... :thumb:

Colin the Bear

The usual mechanical suspects for this sort of thing apart from a leak which seems to have been ruled out.

Sticking pad, reed not wet enough, reed position, accidental fudging of side keys.

I do get the feeling that you can sort of train a reed to do this and the more it happens , the more it happens.

It can of course become a mental block and because you suspect it to happen , it happens.

Try running at it in semitones and sliding onto it to see if that helps.

Roy Gussman

Thanks for your reply, I will try some more different reeds and see if that is the problem.

SUNRAY has made a few suggestions as we have met up and played together (sax I mean) and hopefully he kight come over again as you are only in Norwich why not come over with Sunray if he comes. Let me know.

Gus.

Roy Gussman

Hi Coli the Bear,

Thanks for your suggestion as I have said to Teebones I will try other reeds and wet them bit more and see what happens.

Regards
Gus.

Roy Gussman

Hi Jeanett,

Thanks for not having me "put down" although some days I feel like it. Sorry about that I don't want to depress the whole forum.
Thanks for your help.
Regards

Gus.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Lots of good replies above. My money's on the trying too hard/mouth too tight cause.

jbtsax

Subscriber
I'm not sure by what "goes sky high" means. Does it mean that the note is just quite sharp compared to the notes around it, or does it mean that it jumps to a note higher than D? Thanks.

teebones

Subscriber
Thanks for your reply, I will try some more different reeds and see if that is the problem.

SUNRAY has made a few suggestions as we have met up and played together (sax I mean) and hopefully he kight come over again as you are only in Norwich why not come over with Sunray if he comes. Let me know.

Gus.
Hi again Gus...

Yes will have to do that.

What size reed do you use in the tenor. don't go spending to much of your pension on reeds I may be able to help you ;}

Teebones :mrcool

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I'm not sure by what "goes sky high" means. Does it mean that the note is just quite sharp compared to the notes around it, or does it mean that it jumps to a note higher than D? Thanks.
I don't know about Gus but for me it plays an octave higher.

Jx

Roy Gussman

Hi jbtsax,

When I said sky high I meant that the note just screeches no recognisable tone whatso ever, this is whatis annoying me. I shall continue practising the half notes up and down the scales and see what happens, thats if the wife has not thrown me out by then.

Regards

Gus.

Roy Gussman

Hi Teebones,

I am using 1.5 reeds but now I have moved up to 2 rico. But it makes no different even with a 2.5 reed. The only thing I canm put it down to now is as Kevgermany said its the shape of my mouth and that is always getting me into trouble.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards

Gus.

jonf

Another, easy to check point. Make sure that the reed is very precisely fitted. Some mouthpieces are very sensitive to even very minor mis-placement of the reed. What mouthpiece are you using? Some are more squeak-prone than others.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Hi jbtsax,

When I said sky high I meant that the note just screeches no recognisable tone whatso ever, this is whatis annoying me. I shall continue practising the half notes up and down the scales and see what happens, thats if the wife has not thrown me out by then.

Regards

Gus.
If it is happening on a D it is probably the sax wanting to go to a higher overtone---either A five steps above or D an octave higher (palm D).

This can have a mechanical cause as well as pilot error. :) Here's what to check. Finger low G, 3 fingers on top and press the thumb octave key very firmly while watching the neck octave pad. If it moves or lifts ever so slightly that could be the cause. You can also "pop" the thumb key several times to see if that key jumps. If either of these are happening, it is easy to fix.

- Take the neck off the saxophone
- Place your thumb between the loop of the key and the base of the neck
- Carefully push down on the octave key to bend the lever slightly
- Now do your test again

If you have gone too far, the neck octave won't open when you finger high A. If this is the case, put a flat stick like a tongue depressor between the pad and the octave pip and then push the loop carefully back toward the neck to "unbend" the key just a bit. When it is right, the octave pads will trade places when fingering between A and G with the thumb key pressed.

If it turns out to be pilot error. Try two things. Play just the mouthpiece and neck apart from the tenor sax and adjust your embouchure so that the note produced matches an E on the piano. Then blow your sax with this mouth tightness using warm air and shaping your mouth and throat as if singing "AHH" keeping the back of the tongue down. Good luck. Hope this helps.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Good points from JBTSAX, reminded me - sometimes guys accidentally touch the LH palm key while playing, giving all sorts of problems. Adding LH palm only to mid D won't cause a jump, and is a common cure for a stuffy middle D. But the others may, not sure - worth watching for though.

Roy Gussman

Hi JBTSAX,

Thanks for your reply. When I purchased this Tenor Sax (Buffet) my Tutor at the time noticed when he played it that the octave key was opening both valves when all keys were pushed down and the top valve was bouncing. I managed to solve that problem not with my thumb but with a screwdriver and unfortuneatly I have dented the neck piece, only everso lightly, but they are now working.
The other suggestion I have not tried yet but will do later.

Regards

Gus.

Roy Gussman

Hi to all that tried to help.

I tried all the suggestion to help get rid of the "Bum note ie The middle "D") I'm afraid none of them worked so in desperatrion I tried as last resort the origanal mouth piece that came with the instrument, my normal mouthpiece is the Otto Link tone edge 7.
And much to my surprise I have been playing for the last hour and not played a bum note. I have now got my fingers crossed that I may have cured my problem. Thanks to one and all.

Regards

Gus.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom