All profit supporting   special needs music

Help

K

Kas44

Locality
Northampton UK
Hi as a beginner I am a little stuck at the moment just looking at some music it’s says duet with piano keys at the top. Then it has parts 1,2,6 and eleven. Do I only play sax on 1, 6 and 11. If anyone can help it would be fab thanks.

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Usually the sax part will only show you the sax notes, the piano accompaniment part has sax and piano, sax on a single stave and the 2 piano staves below that. This allows the accompanist to see what you should be playing. And should allow you to see where you play and don't play.

Not sure what you mean by the part numbers.

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
@Kas44 - I don't understand what you mean by "parts 1, 2, 6 and eleven".
I think it might help if you could post a picture of the music.

K

Kas44

Locality
Northampton UK
Usually the sax part will only show you the sax notes, the piano accompaniment part has sax and piano, sax on a single stave and the 2 piano staves below that. This allows the accompanist to see what you should be playing. And should allow you to see where you play and don't play.

Not sure what you mean by the part numbers.
Thanks very much

K

Kas44

Locality
Northampton UK
Hi as a beginner I am a little stuck at the moment just looking at some music it’s says duet with piano keys at the top. Then it has parts 1,2,6 and eleven. Do I only play sax on 1, 6 and 11. If anyone can help it would be fab thanks.
@Kas44 - I don't understand what you mean by "parts 1, 2, 6 and eleven".
I think it might help if you could post a picture of the music.
Posted pic now

Attachments

• 4BB443F9-83C8-46F6-8919-350E00A60A58.jpeg
    4BB443F9-83C8-46F6-8919-350E00A60A58.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 144
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Part 1 and Part 2 I think refer to the different lines but the 6 and 11 are the bar numbers.

You will speed your learning if you get a way from writing the note names on the parts. It is slow at first but faster in the long run :)

Jx

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
It's for two identical instruments, not sax and piano. Both parts are in the same key, D major. The upper part, part 1, is for one player. Part 2 for the other player. As Jeanette says, the small numbers are bar numbers, usually only the first bar on each line is numbered, then you count on from there. The first, incomplete 'pick up bar' doesn't count in this numbering. Bar numbers help when rehearsing, e.g. play from bar 13.

Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
As Kev says, this is a duet for two instruments of the same type. The two parts are linked with a 'brace' on the left hand side. A pair of lines linked like this is called a 'system'. So the the first pair of lines on page are 'the first system' the second pair, 'the second system' etc. Helps with identifying bars etc. In this can, you have the bar numbers printed as mentioned by Kev and Jeanette as well.

K

Kas44

Locality
Northampton UK
Part 1 and Part 2 I think refer to the different lines but the 6 and 11 are the bar numbers.

You will speed your learning if you get a way from writing the note names on the parts. It is slow at first but faster in the long run :)

Jx
It's for two identical instruments, not sax and piano. Both parts are in the same key, D major. The upper part, part 1, is for one player. Part 2 for the other player. As Jeanette says, the small numbers are bar numbers, usually only the first bar on each line is numbered, then you count on from there. The first, incomplete 'pick up bar' doesn't count in this numbering. Bar numbers help when rehearsing, e.g. play from bar 13.
Ok thanks

K

Kas44

Locality
Northampton UK

You will speed your learning if you get away from writing the note names on the parts. It is slow at first but faster in the long run :)

Jx
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
BigMartin

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK

You will speed your learning if you get away from writing the note names on the parts. It is slow at first but faster in the long run :)

Jx
Also, those F's are F#'s because of the key signature. :)

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
At the end it says “Del Signo al Fine” which means “go back to the sign and the play until Fine”.
So you play the piece from the beginning to the end, then back to the sign at the beginning of the first whole bar and up to “Fine”

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Part 1 is rather high for a beginner.
When I play duets with my teacher, I make sure he gets the harder part.
(After all, I wouldn’t want him to get bored.)