All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19

Help with song title

mpj.brennan

Persistent Pensioner
Subscriber
Can anyone advise me what this tune is called - it's familiar to me but I just can't remember the title.
unknown.jpg

OP
mpj.brennan

mpj.brennan

Persistent Pensioner
Subscriber
That's a nice version. There's a really cool one currently featuring on Denny Farrell's "Late Night Chicago Radio" but unfortunately he doesn't state who is playing.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Listening to the opening strains of Exodus reminded me of a quote by Henry Mancini, "French horns always sound higher than they are". Not being familiar with Ernest Gold I did a bit of research. It turns out much of his career before Exodus was writing the scores for "B movies" which is perhaps why his is not a "household name". What I did discover was that he wrote the soundtrack for the movie "On The Beach" which was released in 1959. I would have seen the film at about age 12. I listened to the opening theme again and remembered how I immediately fell in love with the melody "Waltzing Matilda". Hearing it again 60 years later I again got the same emotional response I did at age 12. Such is the power of music in our lives.

Last edited:

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
soundtrack for the movie "On The Beach" which was released in 1959.
I remember that movie! The window shade cord tied to the Morse Code key?
<SPOILER, 59 years later>
The last people alive in Australia? Ironic, as the Aussies always say it's the land where everything there is trying to kill you!

jbtsax

Subscriber

Greg Strange

I remember that movie! The window shade cord tied to the Morse Code key?
<SPOILER, 59 years later>
The last people alive in Australia? Ironic, as the Aussies always say it's the land where everything there is trying to kill you!
Australians call their country the "Lucky Country"
I say it's lucky the bush fires don't burn your house down...you don't get bitten by a snake...bitten by a spider...eaten by a shark or you're not Aboriginal or a New Zealander living in Australia...

Greg S.

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
or you're not Aboriginal or a New Zealander living in Australia...
We were on tour there in 1974, the band had 2 Blacks and a Sikh. In an airport, one fat-jowled pig resembling dude looking at us said "We should lock them up in cages". I remember the incident today. (Wait maybe he was talking about me?) I also remember the Melbourne Truth article about our stay, "Birds, Booze and Blues on the 23rd floor" to make me laugh.

CliveMA

Australians call their country the "Lucky Country"
I say it's lucky the bush fires don't burn your house down...you don't get bitten by a snake...bitten by a spider...eaten by a shark or you're not Aboriginal or a New Zealander living in Australia...

Greg S.
You forgot the poisonous jellyfish that are only 1cm round and transparent. And the Magpie birds divebombing attacks that draw blood from heads every Spring.

But hey, no active volcanos nor earthquakes so that's something. We don't even have topsoil!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom