I recently got a yamaha and it plays so much nicer then what I started with

I've learnt
D and E scales

But I'd love to play with house music
I know it's about patterns

But can anyone help with where to start as I cant get my head round it

Any help mUchida appreciated

Antony

If I am correct it is "disco" with a lot of repetition. The pentatonic scale and its patterns are commonly used to play over repetitive chords and bass patterns. The pentatonic is simply a major scale with the 3rd and 7th removed. The black keys on the piano make a "natural" pentatonic scale.

[correction: the 4th and 7th removed]

Last edited:
If I am correct it is "disco" with a lot of repetition. The pentatonic scale and its patterns are commonly used to play over repetitive chords and bass patterns. The pentatonic is simply a major scale with the 3rd and 7th removed. The black keys on the piano make a "natural" pentatonic scale.

Thank you very much, so a prntatonic D major scale is

d, c# , miss the b, a,g,f#, miss E,D

Do I need to use a percific scale for the music or can I use any

Thx again for help

Thank you very much, so a prntatonic D major scale is

d, c# , miss the b, a,g,f#, miss E,D

Do I need to use a percific scale for the music or can I use any

Thx again for help

The D scale is:

D...E...F#...G...A...B...C#...D

The 4th of the scale is G, and the 7th of the scale is C#

Therefore the D pentatonic is:

D...E...F#...A...B...D

The D pentatonic will work over a D or D7 chord. Let your ear tell you which pentatonic sounds the best with a particular section of a song.

The D scale is:

D...E...F#...G...A...B...C#...D

The 4th of the scale is G, and the 7th of the scale is C#

Therefore the D pentatonic is:

D...E...F#...A...B...D

The D pentatonic will work over a D or D7 chord. Let your ear tell you which pentatonic sounds the best with a particular section of a song.

Fantastic I'll give that a try with the D scale and a few others

Many thanks again for help

If you mean a pentatonic starting on D, then following JBT, it would be DEF# (no G) AB (no 7th so no C#)

If you start on D then D= 1, E is an interval of a second from the D, F is some version of a third, G a fourth and so on. The convention is to name ascending, so if referring to D, a third would mean F, unless you explicitly said 'a third down from D' in which case that would be B

If you mean a pentatonic starting on D, then following JBT, it would be DEF# (no G) AB (no 7th so no C#)

If you start on D then D= 1, E is an interval of a second from the D, F is some version of a third, G a fourth and so on. The convention is to name ascending, so if referring to D, a third would mean F, unless you explicitly said 'a third down from D' in which case that would be B

Thanks for advice

The pentatonic is simply a major scale with the 3rd and 7th removed. The black keys on the piano make a "natural" pentatonic scale.

With house my experience is that it's going to be mostly minor pentatonic based riffs as it's basically rock riffs done with samples and keyboards.

So, Antony, for D, that would be D F G A C D and
E would be E G A B D E

With house my experience is that it's going to be mostly minor pentatonic based riffs as it's basically rock riffs done with samples and keyboards.

So, Antony, for D, that would be D F G A C D and
E would be E G A B D E

Thanks you Dave

So I make pattens out of those keys or play the scale .... sorry if silly question

Many thanks again for the help

Yes, I went off JBT's post, which got amended as I was writing mine, so I then edited it
Yeah I caught my mistake when I began writing out the pentatonic. I remember that the half steps are eliminated which could be accomplished by eliminating the 3rd and the 7th, but that is not the correct answer. I try to avoid allowing you "Brits" the pleasure of correcting the "American" every chance I get. ;)

Yeah I caught my mistake when I began writing out the pentatonic. I remember that the half steps are eliminated which could be accomplished by eliminating the 3rd and the 7th, but that is not the correct answer. I try to avoid allowing you "Brits" the pleasure of correcting the "American" every chance I get. ;)
We're not that bad I hope?

I'm not sure you can play House on a sax really. The basics is electronic dance music. Sure you can play the notes/rhythms, but I'm not convinced it will actually sound much like House tbh. Same for drum n bass, or classical guitar, the instruments are part of the sound.