Help! Thumb rest deforming my hand

Col

I've got problems with my thumb rest. It's at an angle and is causing a nasty deformaty just below my knuckle.

I'm wonky enough as it is, besides it gets really uncomfortable to play for long periods. I've tried numerous shops (including the importers) but no-one seems to be able to fix it.

The horn is a Borgani Tenor, it's just pre-Ponzol and has a strange screw arrangement.

Does anyone know where I could get this fixed in the Portsmouth area?

Thanks

Pjonah

Part of the territory..my old tenor doesn't have an adjustable thumb rest and for the last 33 years I've had a callous there.

On my modern instruments the thumb rest is left slightly loose to self centre on the most comfortable position.

Not sure what the arrangement is with a Borgani but if its adjustable loosen the screw slightly.

My son when he first learnt the clarinet, he got a rubber sleeve to fit over the rest, seemed to work for him, I however, still have a lump of hard skin on my thumb.

Moz

Part of the territory..my old tenor doesn't have an adjustable thumb rest and for the last 33 years I've had a callous there.

On my modern instruments the thumb rest is left slightly loose to self centre on the most comfortable position.

Not sure what the arrangement is with a Borgani but if its adjustable loosen the screw slightly.

My son when he first learnt the clarinet, he got a rubber sleeve to fit over the rest, seemed to work for him, I however, still have a lump of hard skin on my thumb.
Although my Yani has an adjustable thumb-rest I too have put a rubber sleeve over it to aid digit-protection. Never had a problem since. Try one, they are cheap and may well work for you.

Martin

ManEast

I've got problems with my thumb rest. It's at an angle and is causing a nasty deformaty just below my knuckle.

I'm wonky enough as it is, besides it gets really uncomfortable to play for long periods. I've tried numerous shops (including the importers) but no-one seems to be able to fix it.

The horn is a Borgani Tenor, it's just pre-Ponzol and has a strange screw arrangement.

Thanks
Hi Col
That thumb rest sounds the same as was on mine. I did not like it one bit...a chunky thing, that I felt out of place on what is a very light horn.
I got Steve Howard to take it off...If you call Windcraft they can get you a Yanagisawa Back plate, so you can then fit the very nice Yani Thumb rest.
Hmmm..Nice!
You may also want to do something about the Bb bis key...its a tadd low. I know I will soon.

ManEast

ManEast

Thanks
Hi Col
That thumb rest sounds the same as was on mine. I did not like it one bit...a chunky thing, that I felt out of place on what is a very light horn.
I got Steve Howard to take it off...If you call Windcraft they can get you a Yanagisawa Back plate, so you can then fit the very nice Yani Thumb rest.
Hmmm..Nice!
You may also want to do something about the Bb bis key...its a tadd low. I know I will soon.

ManEast

TonyMoroney

Thanks
Hi Col,

Isn't SH Woodwind in your neck of the woods? I'm sure this would be something he could help with?

Cheers

T

OP
Col

Col

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try a rubber sleeve (why does that sound kinky?) as a short-term fix and then look at the Yani set-up for a permanent fix, that's great advice.
I meant to add a photo, I've taken one but a bit thick as to how to add it - I'll read Pete's instructions and try later.
Many thanks everyone, I just wish my recruitment agencies were as helpful...

Kumimajava

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try a rubber sleeve (why does that sound kinky?) as a short-term fix and then look at the Yani set-up for a permanent fix, that's great advice.
I meant to add a photo, I've taken one but a bit thick as to how to add it - I'll read Pete's instructions and try later.
Many thanks everyone, I just wish my recruitment agencies were as helpful...
i may be late in responding to this, but for some people (me included) the rubber sleeve didn't really help (until i found sufficiently squishy/soft one).

another quick-fix alternative is to just tape a bit around your thumb (e.g. magnesium oxide or micropore tape).

Taz

Busking Oracle
You could always try tightening your sling a little to take more weight off your thumb.

Oh and by the way, I too have a callous on my thumb! :)))

Top Bottom