support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Help required re music.

PCthug

I am trying to learn music, but finding it difficult.

I have a couple of books showing music scores for the Alto, but not sure how its supposed to sound. They are mainly well known tracks, but not sure where the corus is or main rift just by looking at the score itself.

Is there an online (or free) program that shows a blank music score where i can place the notes on it manually and then it will play it back, so i know how its supposed to sound. Hope that makes sense.

Mikec

If you go to www.finalemusic.com you can download Finale NotePad for $9.95, which will do what you require. Better is finale PrintMusic which costs a little more. I don't know of any free notation progs. It's well worth chasing up recorded versions of the tunes you're trying to play. Listening to how other people turn the dots into music is very helpful and enjoyable.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
MuseScore is a freeware prog that allows you to write muic on the stave. And play it back So you get a feel for note values. Pitch and so on.

It's a bit clunky, but works. Suggest you download and print the pdf manual, you'll need it.

It'll also import midi files, but usually gets the starting beat wrong. Just copy all the music, and paste into a new stave with the correct starting beat.

Will transpose if you select all the music and use the transpose menu, but it's not in the manual.

http://musescore.org/

RedBottom

It's well worth chasing up recorded versions of the tunes you're trying to play. Listening to how other people turn the dots into music is very helpful and enjoyable.
I couldn't agree more. The more different recordings of a tune that you hear, the more you will understand how it can be varied and the more sense your printed score will make. YouTube or your local music library are good places to start.

Whenever we get a new piece to play at band, I hunt for recordings and email links to everyone. Now it's reached the point where they ask me for them if I don't do it (I mean, everyone knows Bohemian Rhapsody ... don't they? :shocked:)

h4yn0nnym0u5e

A couple of free notation programs with MIDI output capability are LilyPond and Philip's Music Writer (PMW). LilyPond works on a PC, but is incredibly unfriendly to use, which is a pity because it produces pretty good-looking output. PMW is more user-friendly, but needs a Linux system or a Linux environment for Windows (like CygWin). NOTE: if your music uses "swing" notation, I don't think either of these would produce correct-sounding MIDI output.

Not sure this'll be much help, but you never know...

Cheers

Jonathan

OP
P

PCthug

Well, i have down loaded and am trying musescore.
It looks pretty good, but isnt as simple a drag and drop.
I will need to read the instructions to see how to use it properly.

Thanks for your help so far...

MATT

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Musescore will output Lilypond format files. However it's printing is about as good as Lilypond, so no need for both.

Something else that can be really useful is a good midi player. Freebie standard seems to be vanBasco's, but it lacks sax voices.

Top Bottom