support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

help re squeaky D key

selkie

Panicking over a squeaky/squealy D with octave key.Tried the usual clean up, changed reeds. C# to D. D is a pain. Doesn't do it all the time. Nowhere near to music shop. playing Sop part in singing group quartet for first time. Ballet from Terpsichore. do have sax in Baritone harness due to joint problems. using a Legere fibracell reed 2 1/2 which ia normally fine. My daughter recorded it for me and muttered "stupid idea to give a sheet of music to play two weeks before the gig". Sounded awful to me. Higest D is fine! Any sane suggestions please before my blood pressure goes off the scale.

The neck octave opening slightly when your finger D with the octave key can cause this problem. Finger low G and then press the octave key hard and see if the neck octave key raises. Now hit the octave key hard several times and watch to see if the neck octave key jumps.

If either of these happens, take the neck off and insert the thumb between the neck key loop and the neck. Next, carefully push down on the neck octave key to bend the hoop slightly farther from the body of the neck. A successful adjustment should allow the octave key to be hit and not have the neck octave move or bounce, and allow a smooth transition between the body octave vent and the neck octave vent when going from G to A with the octave key pressed. There should also be about 1/16" clearance between the post that extends up from the saxophone and the neck loop.

Sounds like a leak. Guess you don't have a leak light. Does pressing harder help? How long has it been happening?
I wondered about a leak but then sometime I blow and have to blow really hard to get a note to come out. However the highest D works. I have a weak ring finder on left hand so assumed I wasn't pressing the key down hard enough. Recently had trouble with G# key and it had to be realigned but that seems ok.Only been happening for about a week to 10 days and intermittant.

The neck octave opening slightly when your finger D with the octave key can cause this problem. Finger low G and then press the octave key hard and see if the neck octave key raises. Now hit the octave key hard several times and watch to see if the neck octave key jumps.

If either of these happens, take the neck off and insert the thumb between the neck key loop and the neck. Next, carefully push down on the neck octave key to bend the hoop slightly farther from the body of the neck. A successful adjustment should allow the octave key to be hit and not have the neck octave move or bounce, and allow a smooth transition between the body octave vent and the neck octave vent when going from G to A with the octave key pressed. There should also be about 1/16" clearance between the post that extends up from the saxophone and the neck loop.

Thanks.Neck key not raising or jumping.The clearance seems about right as well on the post and ncek loop. It's 1am so don't want to wake every body up so will check in the moning.

Leak light - goes inside the sax, and if you see light coming out from a closed key, there's a leak. Also used to check that each pads closes all around at the same time, not one side first. And to.check that keys which should close together do that.

You can do the same job with strips of cigarette paper, but it tales more practice.

Also check that you don't have a lazy left hand third finger,the one thats on the G key,sometimes going over the break from C# to D if this finger is not in sync with the others the sax will sound in high A.

Also check that you don't have a lazy left hand third finger,the one thats on the G key,sometimes going over the break from C# to D if this finger is not in sync with the others the sax will sound in high A.

I do have a problem with weakness in the little finger and ring finger on both hand due to golfers and tennis elbow in each arm.Just stood in front of a mirror to see if the fingers are right on the keys and it does vary so I'll keep practising till tomorrow and see if it improves. I did have an issue with my little finger not pressing hard enough on the G# key in the beginning.

If it is just a finger fudge try practicing the jump from C# to D slow and deliberately tonguing each note.Repeat it till it's solid then try to pick up the pace. I do semitone runs from top to bottom to wake up the hands, mouth and head.

This is a common problem on saxophone. Sometimes it helps to feel as if you are "leading" with the LH 3rd finger when going from an A or a B to a D.

:mad:AArg. All need. I shut my left pinky tip past first knuckle in a door tonight and at the moment it's agony on the G# key which of course I need to use.. Doesn't seem broken but going a pretty colour. I think it is my ring finger slipping off fthe key slightly but it is hit and miss. Wednesday will tell.

:mad:AArg. All need. I shut my left pinky tip past first knuckle in a door tonight and at the moment it's agony on the G# key which of course I need to use.. Doesn't seem broken but going a pretty colour. I think it is my ring finger slipping off fthe key slightly but it is hit and miss. Wednesday will tell.

Ouch, sorry to hear that, hope it eases.

Jx

I am so pleased to say that the help with my sax worked and despite all my worries i played some Medieval Music at the the Singing group last night. I've never played this sort of music on sax before but it worked. My daughter has recorded the second half of concert on my Sony recorder and I do have Audacity installed on laptop and will try to post it on the cloud but not sure how to just grab the music bit. I'm still high as a kite. We are so isolated here for small music groups.I usually play with the Trash group and playing on my own at home isn't as lifting.:thanks1:

I am so pleased to say that the help with my sax worked and despite all my worries i played some Medieval Music at the the Singing group last night. I've never played this sort of music on sax before but it worked. My daughter has recorded the second half of concert on my Sony recorder and I do have Audacity installed on laptop and will try to post it on the cloud but not sure how to just grab the music bit. I'm still high as a kite. We are so isolated here for small music groups.I usually play with the Trash group and playing on my own at home isn't as lifting.:thanks1:
Well done. Keep it up and post your music