support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Help Please,Biting mouthpiece

ukwoody

Hi all, after reading another thread that brought up embouchure issues, I've realised I am biting my mouthpice WAYYYYYY too hard.

My Yamaha mpice has two grooves bitten into the top of it where I rest my teeth. This evening I tried to change my embouchure, but have now got lump behind my top lip! Ouch.

I'm obviously beyond all hope of redemption and know I need to be put down, but what can I do to get salvation from this issue?

As a secondary issue, will the damage to the m/piece now affect my playing?

thanks guys
woody

It's probably common to bite too hard in the early days. Particularly if you are using a harder reed than you should. It shouldn't affect your playing just try and relax it moving forwards.

The damage won't affect your playing as such, but you'll now find that there's no way you can adjust the position of the mpc as the teeth will naturally fall into the marks you've made. That might not be a problem, but if the positioning isn't right, and you want to make small adjustments as you progress, you're possibly a bit stuck.

Try a thick patch, might help, but I suspect you'll still naturally end up with the teeth migrating to the groove you've made

Phil

I haven't checked the toxic nature of araldite but the contact with your mouth will be nil to negligible (with patches). It is recommended for general repairs of all sorts of things. Better check my Link to see what that's made of you have got me worried...

I wonder what you might think the bite plate on metal mouthpieces is often actually made from?

Presumably something who's properties are known and tested. Araldite, on the other hand, only offers this in respect of toxicity of the material;

"Hazards, toxicity and behaviour of the products may differ when used with other materials and are dependent on manufacturing
circumstances or other processes. Such hazards, toxicity and behaviour should be determined by the user and made known to
handlers, processors and end users."

Not being a chemist, personally I'll keep it for fixing broken stuff and well clear of my orifices! I think the concern over scratches on the bite-plate are maybe a bit over-stated. I played a Lawton for years before I was even aware that such things as protectors existed and I can't say that I ever felt that the wear had any effect on the positioning of the mouthpices relative to my teeth. Cosmetically its not pretty, but even then when I sold it, I got twice what I paid for it so it couldn't have been that big a deal.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitley try a softer reed to help relax your mouth. If not softer, try different makes which will be slightly softer anyway. A thick patch is also good for ensuring your mouth is a touch more open.

The other reason might be that you are blowing from the mouth instead of the diaphram, (see a previous item from Pete about this.). Blowing from the mouth can cause the tightening of the lips and jaw.

Above all just relax man, relax.

Sorry i cant offer anymore help you have been given great advice.Try the patches and try to relax more it will pass i think we have all done this at the start of our journey good luck Tom.

araldite is fine after setting if it is mixed perfectly... which it never is....

but a firm/hard mouthpiece patch over the top of the filled grooves is probably not too bad (assumign the patch covers the grooves fully, and you change patch before you bite through it)

I've seen a thread on here by a member ( Face Ache Mike?) who makes his own patches, which seem to be extemely popular. I will follow that up. It might be the way to go.

To fill in the grooves on the mouthpiece, I'll use the pastry 'ErIndoors makes. That'll stick like S*** to anything :)))

woody