All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Tone Help for longtime excercie

georgesax

Subscriber
I have been practicing the longtime exercise 20 minutes per day for the last 8 months. I am still struggling with producing stable sound on higher notes from high B to F#. The sound is wobbling. Could you give me some advice on how to overcome this problem. I am using Morgan Fry M 6 alto mouthpiece piece and vandoren traditional 2 reed. Thanks a lot!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Hi George, from another George.

"Long Tone" is what I assume you mean ?

When you say 'wobbling', what do you mean ?

1) Can you not hold a note for a long time (i.e. do you run out of breath and it becomes unsteady - like loud-soft-loud-soft) ?

or

2) do you mean the intonation wavers up and down (it becomes flat-sharp-flat-sharp) ?

or

3) the note 'breaks up'..meaning it starts 'easy' and 'clean' to play... but then starts crackling and becomes intermittent ???

jbtsax

Subscriber
To produce a steady tone requires two things: 1) a steady airstream, 2) a steady embouchure. Are you putting your top teeth on the mouthpiece and rolling the lower lip back just enough to cover the teeth? I have good success with my students having them play a note they can get to speak and control and then slurring to the next note keeping everything constant. Doing this one note at a time may get you to where you want to be.

Remember notes in the higher register require a faster airstream. My teacher used to say the more work you can do with the breath support (pressurized air), the less work you have to do with the embouchure.

OP
G

georgesax

Subscriber
Hi George, from another George.

"Long Tone" is what I assume you mean ?

When you say 'wobbling', what do you mean ?

1) Can you not hold a note for a long time (i.e. do you run out of breath and it becomes unsteady - like loud-soft-loud-soft) ?

or

2) do you mean the intonation wavers up and down (it becomes flat-sharp-flat-sharp) ?

or

3) the note 'breaks up'..meaning it starts 'easy' and 'clean' to play... but then starts crackling and becomes intermittent ???
Hi George thanks your reply. I mean that the sound wavers up and down

OP
G

georgesax

Subscriber
To produce a steady tone requires two things: 1) a steady airstream, 2) a steady embouchure. Are you putting your top teeth on the mouthpiece and rolling the lower lip back just enough to cover the teeth? I have good success with my students having them play a note they can get to speak and control and then slurring to the next note keeping everything constant. Doing this one note at a time may get you to where you want to be.

Remember notes in the higher register require a faster airstream. My teacher used to say the more work you can do with the breath support (pressurized air), the less work you have to do with the embouchure.
Thanks

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
OK, so you can HOLD the note OK, but the intonation wavers.

That is pretty common for a new player. Try JBT's suggestions.

Rikki

I have been practicing the longtime exercise 20 minutes per day for the last 8 months. I am still struggling with producing stable sound on higher notes from high B to F#. The sound is wobbling. Could you give me some advice on how to overcome this problem. I am using Morgan Fry M 6 alto mouthpiece piece and vandoren traditional 2 reed. Thanks a lot!
20 minutes a day playing just playing long notes sounds a bit excessive to me especially if you are a relative beginner. I had a similar problem when I was less experienced and obsessed with long tones. I eventually stopped playing for a while in frustration, when I eventually went back I found the problem had gone! FRom then on I concentrated a lot less on long tones. Maybe you simply need to take a rest and allow your embouchure to recover. Even as an experienced player I spend no more than 10 minutes on embouchure exercises before practice.

Morph

As others have said, diaphragm support is very important. Make sure you diaphragm is engaged when you play, it will feel like you stomach is tensed.

I think embouchure strength develops slowly over time too, so be patient. I find long tones to be one of the most taxing exercises for my lip muscles. I find 10 mins of long tones = 50 mins of playing normally (or something like that!)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom