All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Help for Hero's Christmas busk!

Fraser Jarvis

This is an idea i've had for a little while now, in fact since i did a busk in the summer with some of you.

Now the plan would be to busk in a busy shopping area as near to Christmas as possible, week days or weekends,....and this is the best bit, all in Santa costumes! (and sunglasses!) should atract loads of attention, and hopefully lots of money as well, i will also tip off the local rag! when i know when and were.

The format: Play all recognised Christmas carrols, but maybe Jazz them up a bit?
Away in a Manger
Deck the Halls
We three Kings
Silent night
O Come all ye Faithful
Jingle Bells
God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen
Good King Wenceslas
Hark the Hearald Angels
Little town of Bethlehem

The instruments: oviously sax, but does anyone play or know anyone else who plays Trumpet, Bone, Flute etc etc, as i think a nice mix would probably work better.

The Charity: As the title would sugest, ALL monies donated to Help For Hero's, oviously i dont need to explain what a worthy cause this is!

On the day i will collect any monies (if we get any!) my company, Blast Technology limited will also throw in a few quid and i will make the donation via the Help For Heros web site.

And before anyone reaches for the flame thrower! yes i contacted Pete and ran the idea past him, and he gave me his blessing, as i dident want anything to conflict with the good work this site does for various organisations.

Now this is the bit i need YOUR help with! Can anyone reconmend a good place to do the deed? we did Stratford last time which would be good also TAZ what about Rugby?
What permits do we need etc for each location and who do we contact? i think Leicester is out as, i think you have to do an audition to busk at Milton Keynes! which i for one am probably not good enough to pass!! so i would appreciate sugestions on location.

Any other thoughts or sugestions would be appreciated.

Fraser.

(i can't do this Saturday as i'm going to watch Madness at Leicester)

dooce

Good idea - everyone knows carols so shouldn't be too cacophanous. I could be up for it dependant on the date. A guitar would be a good addition, just knocking out chords/rythmn. How about Market Harborough? Nice place and there's a bit of money around that area.

wemeetagain

sounds good, i would be willing to play if you want me. if you want to go to stratford i can get us a spot, but i dont think we need to reserve a spot in stratford at the moment. Guitar would be good but backing tracks would probably be even better!

Fraser Jarvis

sounds good, i would be willing to play if you want me. if you want to go to stratford i can get us a spot, but i dont think we need to reserve a spot in stratford at the moment. Guitar would be good but backing tracks would probably be even better!
Sounds good Peter, the more the merrier!!! but we dont seem to be geting two many takers at the moment!

Come on you lot, these guys are laying their lives on the line for our country, the least we can do is try and raise a bit of money and suport for our wounded and their families at Christmas!

B.T.W. Did anyone see the documentary last night about Craig the 18 year old who lost both legs, part of his left arm and part of his face whilst on patrol in Afghanistan? What a brave, brave young MAN.

thomsax

Sounds like a good idea and fun as well!! I would love to join you and blow some sax!!! But I'm living in Sweden ....... . It's nothing with a carride for some hours for having fun, meeting other honkers and helping others as well. So be there!!

I know some of the titles and it shouldn't be to hard to do some "be-wop". A small rhytmsection (gtr,bass, drm) would also help. We use to drink Glögg (kind of Gluwein, but I have less wine more vodka/cognac in my Glögg) "to get in a higher gear".

Thomas

dooce

Royal Crown Revue do a nice jazzed-up Good King Wenceslas on their new CD. Another must-do is In Dulci Jubilo.

How many are you looking for? I would have thought 4 would be about right, ideally sop/alto/tenor/bari.

half diminished

I have almost no time available at the mo but I'll join in if I can. Can only do weekends except fit Xmas eve. Jinglebell Rock is a nice jazzy one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi guy's sorry I've only just caught up with this thread. I'm afraid I can't offer any help or assistance in any way at the moment. One of my other hobbies (yes I know what your thinking, "with that nice new bari how has he got time for other hobbies!!!") is off roading and I'm a member of my local 4X4 response team. I haven't been at home for the last three days as I've been put to good use driving nurses around the Lincolnshire country side visiting their patients, many of whom are terminally ill. It's good to feel that your part of a worthwhile team and can help in times of need.
No doubt I'll catch up next time I can either piggy back someone's wireless link :w00t:or get home.

PS Bill theres a cracking soul band in the Arnold tonight and they've got a fantastic brass section. Their called "Soul Phoenix"

Fraser Jarvis

Royal Crown Revue do a nice jazzed-up Good King Wenceslas on their new CD. Another must-do is In Dulci Jubilo.

How many are you looking for? I would have thought 4 would be about right, ideally sop/alto/tenor/bari.
Hi Bill, i was hoping for a kind of mass turnout with a varying spread of instruments, but i dont think thats going to happen, so if we base it on 4 at the moment as a starting point that would be good with me, as for location i realy dont mind, Peter can sort out a slot for us at Stratford would that be ok with you?

Pee Dee

Great idea Fraser, just wish I lived a little nearer. To travel from down here in Dorset not really feasible.
Anyway, good luck with it, hope you get a good response.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom