All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Help choosing a sax please

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
Original thread: Breakfast Room Saxophone Discussion Forum

Here is the original text and some of the replies. What a great help you all were. Some of this info may need updating as I am sure the BW would feature highly now.

Original text:

Hi, first post and a question I guess that has been asked by many.

I'm looking to buy an alto sax and can have a budget of up to £750 if I need to. I'm no spring chicken and used to use an old Yamaha of a friend over 10 years ago (maybe for 12 months or so) but have not played since.

I'm looking for a good instrument that will hopefully last me some while and as it is a 'life-long' ambition to learn to play as well as I can I'm hoping to find a sax that will fit the bill.

But what should I buy? Do I need to spend that much for something good?

I like the look of the Hanson and Steve Goodson altos but can find no 'independant' well informed opinions on either. Are they worth considering?

I guess the safe bet is a Trevor James or Jupiter 700 series? Any advice is welcome. A few people have suggested that I 'try' some out but to be honest apart form the finish itself I don't believe I could spot a good one from a bad one.

I'm a serious photographer and generally buy gear second hand but I know what I am looking for. Not so with a sax and so I am nervous of buying second hand other than maybe from a dealer.

My short list (in no particular order):

Trevor James Revolution II
Keilwerth ST90
Earlham EAS 309
Steve Goodson Vespro
Steve Goodson LA Sax
Hanson SA-5 or SA-8
Sakkusu Alto

Thanks in advance.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Well, Ian, as one who used to live in Bletchley (for 22years), and used to have a Hanson (for 3), let me be the first to wish you and your SA-8 many years of happiness together :)

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
It's up for sale. I am playing tenor now and about to acquire a sop.

This was posted in response to Pete's request for old posts. You guys were instrumental (excuse the pun) in me choosing the SA-8.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Oh...all this Old/New post stuff is getting me confuzzed(not difficult at this hour) :)

Sloth

Locality
The cheap end of Brighton
I'd like to get a silver plated tenor one day when I upgrade, they look so much better to my eye.

And a very good way way of photographing the sax if up for sale, I'll remember that!

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom