Tutorials

Hellooo!!!i from Rikki

Rikki

Hi Chaps,

After browsing the Cafe for a while, have finally taken the plunge and joined! I have in the last couple of years gone back to playing sax after almost 20 years when I last had a Selmer SA80 Tenor.

I had been playing a Paris Dolnet alto, which is a gorgeous modern sounding sax (with runyon quantum mouthpiece) but it now needs some leaks fixed as the lower notes are becoming difficult to play. Also missing playing tenor, I recently purchased a Bahaus Walstein M2 Tenor sax, which I am very pleased with, although I am now at the stage where I need to replace the original mouthpiece, any suggestions from other M2 Tenor users on mouthpieces that will give a nice raunchy but refined sound?

By the way if someone is interested in purchasing the Dolnet Alto I can donate 15% to Pete's charity

OP
Rikki

Rikki

Hi from Rikki in Sydney!!

Hi fellow Saxophiles!

After casually browsing the joint for a while, have finally taken the plunge and joined!

I recently returned to saxophone after a 20 year layoff (married, sold Selmer SA80 Tenor:crying:), playing a Paris Dolnet Alto saxophone, which is beautifull sounding in raunchy kind of a way, at least with a Runyon Quantum mouthpiece.

However the old thing is leaking a bit and I really missed the feel of a Tenor so after all the hype I purchased a Bauhaus Walstein M2 Tenor. Yes it is as good as they say it is even with the original mouthpiece. So I am now2 looking for a mouthpiece that will go well with the M2 and give me a rich full bodied sound with a bit of naughty raunchiness!!

TomMapfumo

Hi Rikki, and welcome to Cafe Saxophone from the Skabertawe 3 button Soprano Sax formation Team!!

Mouthpiece wise it depends what is available in your neck of the proverbial woods as there are many potential contenders to fit your desire for a Smooth, Full-Bodied yet Raunchy sound - you'll need some replies from our Macho Tenor Sax Brigade like the World Famous Taz and others. The PPT custom produced by Pete Thomas/Ed Pillinger may be just up your street - but not my area of expertise.

Kind regards, and look forward to getting to know you
Tom:cool:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Rikki, welcome to the cafe, I'm glad you've returned to the sax. My advice is that you stick to what you know, mouthpiece wise that is! Runyon Quantum all the way. It's what I play all the time, whether for smooth ballads or raunchy Rock 'n' Roll.

Go for it, you know you want to!

TomMapfumo

But you do sound better on the Brilhart..............;}

Sounds like Rikki may be wanting to move up in the world, however, or want to try something better!
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
Rikki

Rikki

What a nice bunch of guys you are!

Taz: I am tempted to just get a quantum for the tenor, do you use the delrin or the metal version? Otherwise if I can flog the Dolnet for a couple of hundred quid then I would be temped by the PPT, as Pete sounds so cool on it and the money goes to charity.

Old Git: I am actually a POM originally from Swindon so still cheering on our boys, especially after the dismall OZ perfermance!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Rikki,
Might have been better to describe us as saxophonies. ;}

Anyway welcome to the caff.

Please don't try to steal our New Zealand members' All White World Cup glory and

ENJOY!
Your probably right OG aren't saxophiles people that do naughty things with little saxophones,but then again!!!!

anyway welcome to the cafe Rikki...john

Last edited by a moderator:

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Hi Rikki, welcome to the cafe :)

The PPT mouthpiece would certainly fit your bill of naughty raunchiness. The sound of it is so cheeky it would probably be banned in most churches.:shocked: But if you have not played on a stone mouthpiece before, be ware that it feels quite different and will take some time getting used to.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
Hello Rikki
Got back from Sydney visiting my son earlier in the month . Lovely place you've got there. But why does it always rain when I visit?
Welcome
Andrew

Taz

Busking Oracle
What a nice bunch of guys you are!

Taz: I am tempted to just get a quantum for the tenor, do you use the delrin or the metal version? Otherwise if I can flog the Dolnet for a couple of hundred quid then I would be temped by the PPT, as Pete sounds so cool on it and the money goes to charity.
Hi Rikki, I use the Delrin version. I can, however, recomend the PPT as I had it on test for a week some while ago. It realy is a superb piece and if I didn't have the Quantum, which I love dearly, I'd have one in a snap!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Well, I enjoyed them both, although I do prefer the narrow duck bill shape of the Quantum, it just seems a little more effortless to play. This, I would imagine, is simply down to familiarity. Had I spent longer with the PPT, I would probably have had time to explore it's abilities a bit more.
If I had the spare cash at the moment, like I said, I'd get one tomorrow!

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom