All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello

Colin the Bear

Kept getting directed to this site when searching for reviews of Saxophones on Google. So I thought I'd cut out the middle man , so to speak and register.

I have been playing Alto, Clarinet and Baritone ( Isn't that the title of a song?) off and on for around 30 years, amateur and semi pro, with varying degrees of success.

Currently enjoying a resurgence of enthusiasm for the alto after a lay off of about 5 years.

My dear old Lafleur alto which I bought in the 1980's is feeling a little tired and I'm looking for a back up while I refit it, hence the searching.

Saw a bargain in cash generator and tried it. A beautiful looking instrument, tight, light, fast action. However , sharp at the bottom and flat at the top. Turned out to be one of the cheaper Chinese makes. It's a minefield finding a good cheap friend.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me.

The problem with the cheapo may be the mouthpiece.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I'm sure that should read, Colin, the beer! Any way seeing we only drink coffee, welcome to the cafe from a fellow alto, tenor and plumbing system player!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Colin.

We bear you no malice. (That is my entry for worst joke of the day)

ENJOY!​™

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Colin, you will find some honest and good advice here about your next instrument (bear in mind that different people prefer different horns).
But when you write that you played "on and off", maybe you should start using dynamics, like p, mp, mf, f, fff.... your expressive palette will improve dramatically.

AndyWhiteford

Welcome to the cafe..
a point of information- I've owned & played a Ben Davis Vocaltone alto mouthpiece, imho one of the WORST mouthpieces I've ever used in 23 years. "fwiw", "ymmv", etc., etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe..
a point of information- I've owned & played a Ben Davis Vocaltone alto mouthpiece, imho one of the WORST mouthpieces I've ever used in 23 years. "fwiw", "ymmv", etc., etc...
Are "fwiw" and "ymmw" Scottish words that I can not understand?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom