Hello!

saxnut1966

Hello all.
Brand new to Cafe` Saxcophone and just saying hi like the instructions said.
I am a proud member of the "old farts" club, having been playing sax since 1967! Majored in Music back in 1979 and now I work as a GM/COO managing private country clubs. (Just my way of dealing with the reality of the "starving artist" syndrome!) ;-)
Current axes include Selmer Reference 54 alto, Yamaha YAS-61 Alto, Yamaha YTS-62 Tenor, LA Sax Professional Soprano, Gemienhart C and Alto Flutes.
My main performing interest is jazz, but I enjoy playing it all from classical to R&B. I performed once with Stan Kenton back in the 70's which was a total gas for us die hard Kenton fans, as well as with jazz trombonist, Bill Watrous and pop singer B.J.Thomas. Played lead alto and tenor in the school jazz bands throughout High school and college. Played professionally in several show bands and jazz combos. Played tenor with Charlie Lyle Orchestra in Huntsville, Alabama as well as the UAH Jazz Ensemble. Currently have a solo act using pre-recorded backing trax, some original, some not. Also play with a local jazz pianist from time to time.
Well...that's my life story!
Looking forward to learning more about the group and the sharing of knowledge.
Bill

OP
saxnut1966

saxnut1966

Welcome to the caff, Bill.

GM/COO? Does this mean that you are the General Manager and duty pigeon?

ENJOY!
LOL!!!
Yes! Duty pigeon, janitor, as well as chief cook and bottle washer!!!
With the Chief Operating Officer title (COO) comes many extra responsibilities indeed.
All in all I'd much rather be playing the sax! Not enough time in my work day for this duty pigeon to give a decent "coo" these days.
Wild Bill

TomMapfumo

H Bill!

A Warm Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Button Free Tenor Sax Collective. How exciting that you once played with a Trombonist!!! :w00t::welldone;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe Bill, glad you found enough time to fit us in! ;}

Tom, Has the weather improved that much in obviously very sunny Skabertawe? :)))

OP
saxnut1966

saxnut1966

H Bill!

A Warm Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Button Free Tenor Sax Collective. How exciting that you once played with a Trombonist!!! :w00t::welldone;}

Kind regards
Thanks!
Yes, Bill Watrous is THE trombonist in my opinion. I still hear from him once in a while and he still plays as good as ever. If you are not a Watrous fan, it's only because you haven't had a chance to hear him play. He is an absolutely awesom player!
Stay cool, Tom!
Bill

TomMapfumo

Hi Bill!

I'll add him to my list.........Samuel Blaser, Dennis Rollins, Nils Landgren, Gareth Roberts, Mark Nightingale, Bob Brookmeyer & Annie Whitehead!

Kind regards

OP
saxnut1966

saxnut1966

Hi Bill!

I'll add him to my list.........Samuel Blaser, Dennis Rollins, Nils Landgren, Gareth Roberts, Mark Nightingale, Bob Brookmeyer & Annie Whitehead!

Kind regards
My favorite album from Bill Watrous is the Tiger of San Pedro album from about 1976. Songs I played with Bill include, Tiger of San Pedro, Sweet Georgia Upsidedown, Quiet Lady, and TS, TS. These were all powerhouse charts and real chop busters for the brass players. Tom Garvin was the arranger and he spared no mercy!! All the T-Bones and High Brass guys used to keep a tube of "Blisstex" in their gig bags to deaden the pain. LOL!!!
As for us sax players, a quick nip on the Jack Daniels bottle worked just fine. (Medicinal only, of course.) ;-)
Bill

Top Bottom