All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello to all

oldblower

Just a quick post to say hello,
I have just started playing the tenor sax, should say playing with rather than playing. Am really enjoying it so far and pick up a sax of my own next week and the loan one will have to go back.
I competed in various sports throughout my life and eventually my body stopped coping so on the advice of a friend took up music, he sent me a trumpet with a note say stop moaning about your body and blow this, best thing i ever did.
will be searching the forum for a couple of days to help me get started and then will ask for help.
thanks in advance
steve

saxnik

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.
Glad to hear of another convert - and I particularly like your signature quote! Is that from anyone in particular or from your own experience?

Keep practicing,

Nick

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Steve.

You'll get lots of advice from alto players. Ignore it, they don't have the ability to play a real instrument. >:)

ENJOY!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Old blower - welcome. But surely Hornblower would have been a better moniker.....

Sunray

Hey hey Steve ...

So what style of music are you gonna play on your Tenor mate ? :thumb:

Who's yer favourite sax player ... :mrcool

Come on man, spill the beans - we want to know more .... ;}

Sunray waves from Norfolk ... :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi

A warm welcome from me too. Hope you enjoy your sax. I started playing in March and it has become a real love hate relationship, quite a challenge for someone with no musical experience but great fun.:)

I would think about getting a tutor to help you get started.

Jx

oldblower

music i want to play, eventually west coast jazz, mostly slow because i am a slow moving kind of guy
players, bill perkins, lester young, stan getz, art pepper no real one and only favourite, love some of the stuff don't even like other stuff.
this was in response to a question by sunray but have not got the hang of posting yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hi Steve,welcome to the Cafe..;}, Hope you enjoy your journey with the sax, :thumb: most of all have fun..:D:D

Chris

TomMapfumo

Hi Steve!

A Big Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Horn Section. Well done on playing a Tenor Sax. How did you find the trumpet from a playing perspective? The trumpet officially takes more puff than a Tenor Sax.

Love West Coast Jazz, especially Chet Baker and Paul Desmond, among other stuff. Hope you have a great time here!
Kind regards

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

oldblower

Found the trumpet easy on the lower register but the higher register a different story on a good day good on a bad day i hate the sound. Play west coast stuff on the trumpet mostly plus kids stuff for fun or just mellow jazz or blues My trumpet teacher says i make the trumpet sound too mellow, but you can't change who you are by too much so mellow it is.Am sure the sax will be the same when i get used to it.
Hi Steve!

A Big Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Horn Section. Well done on playing a Tenor Sax. How did you find the trumpet from a playing perspective? The trumpet officially takes more puffthan a Tenor Sax.

Love West Coast Jazz, especially Chet Baker and Paul Desmond, among other stuff. Hope you have a great time here!
Kind regards

Tom

TomMapfumo

Making a mellow sound on a Trumpet is generally cheaper than buying a Flugelhorn as well. Teachers are funny people. I have had 5 teachers on trumpet, and none of them have ever commented on the nature of the tone that I produced. I have generally produced a "lovely" tone which I have taken to mean "not overly bright", and do like mellow on the trumpet as it can should a little too harsh in the wrong hands. Just sounds slightly too subjective to describe it as "too mellow".

Depends also on what equipment you use - trumpet and/or mouthpiece. Some trumpets can be a little "stuffy" and some can be very bright - all depends on make and quality (many cheaper horns are stuffy, so can take a lot of puff to produce a good tone) and capacity to have/develop good breath control. It is the high notes that are the challenge, though, and most players can benefit from a slightly larger mouthpiece on trumpet to produce them comfortably.

As Kev says, Mellow is great for sax - or at least a lot of sax music.
Kind regards
Tom

oldblower

Agree about trumpets I have 2 a 1960 besson crescendo and a 1958 old special and play with a bach 1.5B megatone mouthpiece, things are a bit tight so the olds might have to go, would be sad but needs must.
Started with the besson and a 1.5C, someone gave me the 1.5B and won't change now I like the way they work and think why change am still learning, changing equipment is just one more thing to think about that i don't need, will hopefully do the same with the sax when i get it.
Making a mellow sound on a Trumpet is generally cheaper than buying a Flugelhorn as well. Teachers are funny people. I have had 5 teachers on trumpet, and none of them have ever commented on the nature of the tone that I produced. I have generally produced a "lovely" tone which I have taken to mean "not overly bright", and do like mellow on the trumpet as it can should a little too harsh in the wrong hands. Just sounds slightly too subjective to describe it as "too mellow".

Depends also on what equipment you use - trumpet and/or mouthpiece. Some trumpets can be a little "stuffy" and some can be very bright - all depends on make and quality (many cheaper horns are stuffy, so can take a lot of puff to produce a good tone) and capacity to have/develop good breath control. It is the high notes that are the challenge, though, and most players can benefit from a slightly larger mouthpiece on trumpet to produce them comfortably.

As Kev says, Mellow is great for sax - or at least a lot of sax music.
Kind regards
Tom

TomMapfumo

Do PM me if you are looking to sell the Olds. So pretty decent horns then, and a good size mouthpiece to boot - though I do find the Bach mouthpieces tend to aid in producing a rounded, warmer sound than some others (Schilke, Wick, Stork).

How soon before the Sax arrives? If you intend to regularly play both you will find it better to focus on trumpet first, then sax, because of the different embouchures involved. The other way around is a nightmare, all the more as it is a tenor sax.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom