All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello members. New Late Bloomer.

johnny b.

Hello, just thought I would introduce myself.

Johnny b. from F.N.Q. Aust.

I have been playing ( attempting to ) tenor for a little under 12 months. Selmer Ref 36 Flamingo via Saxforte.
Using Selmer C* mouthpiece. Brancher Lig. Reeds. ummm various. Rico, Brancher,Gonzalez,Vandoren, Legere
Studio & Signature. All 1.5 to 2.5. Found the Legere Signature convenient, all the others similar sounding.

I couple of years ago I was strolling through the city and heard a busker in the distance, playing sax under a large
overpass. ( Swanston St., next to Yarra river for anyone familiar with Melb. )The sound was echoing a fair distance, I just stood still and listened to him play the blues. From that moment I made the decision to learn
to play sax.

Unfortunately I waited until 12 months ago to commit and buy a horn. Oh well better late than never.
The cost of new professional saxes in Aust make purchasing here fairly prohibitive. After a fair bit of research
I decided to use the internet and buy from overseas. I realize it was a gamble but all seems to have turned out
ok. I am happy with the sound and ergonomics of the sax I bought. Having said that I did not try many. They are
just not available where I live. I did alot of listening on the net. I used Saxforte in U.S. and the Sax turned up
in one piece.

I arrived at this forum via Saxontheweb. I was just reading a post by a Sax Tech regarding a R&C Tenor that came
in for repair. A bit of a bun fight. lol. Anyway Pete Thomas posted a clip there and the sound of his playing on an
R&C tenor impressed me. I looked at his set up and and he was playing a PPT mouthpiece with Legere Sig. reed.
Even though I have only been playing for 1 year I have been curious about other mouthpieces. As the profits from
the sale of these mouthpieces go to charity I thought I would purchase one. I chose a #7.
Do you think this is the right size for a 1 year veteran. I am interested to see if there is much difference compared to my current mouthpiece. Selmer C*. I have read all about the player having the majority of influence
over the sound and I dont intend to start messing with different mouthpieces, I just thought I would give one of
these a try. I have a Selmer super sessions that came with the sax but that is beyond my capabilities ( chops ) at
moment.

I have also purchased the taming the sax book and a learners DVD. My learning curve at the moment is not that
great due to work commitments but intend to rectify that soon. Less work more play. I had a couple of lessons
earlier in the year and intend to have some on a regular basis from now on.

Ummm I think that is about it for now. I love the blues and soul more than Jazz. Modern Jazz anyway. I am sure
that improvised jazz is enjoyable to play but it sounds like finger nails down a blackboard to me. No MELODY. lol.
Hope i have not offended anyone.

So thanks for listening and i am all ears for any advice i can get. Things I have picked up from the forums so far-
Practice, Practice, Practice. Listen. Listen. Listen. Long tones. Scales. umm and play what you enjoy listening to.
Is it really going to take 10,000 hours. I dont mind if it does. I am committed.

Regards Johnny b.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Wow, that has to be the longest intro we've had this year.

Big welcome from me.

I switched to a PPT 8* after about a year, sorted out many of the probs I was having before, so you should be fine. Just make sure you get a well fitting lig, the piece has a more tapered body than some and some ligs can't cope with it. You'll find the PPT very different to the Selmer. Freer blowing and louder...

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
FNQ!! I hang out there for part of the year. Did you get to see the eclipse? I was out at Mt Mulligan so got a good view.

Yes I think the PPT in that size tip would potentially be too much right now if you can't manage the Selmer SS. Having said that what is the letter designation on your SS? I think the equivalent tip to a 7 would be around a G or H, so check. You also would need to be using a very soft reed unless your embouchure is very well developed.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

johnny b.

Thanks for the welcome Kev. I ordered a lig with the PPT #7. just in case mine does not fit.

Yes Wade, saw the eclipse. Mother nature at work. Makes you feel a little smaller, sort of reminds you

who's the boss. The Super Session mouthpiece is an 'I' tip. Not sure what level of play it is designed for.

I have plenty of soft reeds here so should find couple to go with the PPT. Thanks for the welcome.

JB.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hey Johnny B, good you made it here (did you see what i did there? :w00t:) I'm from PCRTC (pretty close to Rugby town centre)

Justin Chune

Hello Johnny, welcome to the cafe. My tenor came with a Selmer Soloist C** that I've played ever since.

Jim.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
The Super Session mouthpiece is an 'I' tip. Not sure what level of play it is designed for.

I have plenty of soft reeds here so should find couple to go with the PPT. Thanks for the welcome.

JB.
The "I" is an even bigger tip than the 7. It's not so much a matter of level of player as development of embouchure and where you are comfortable playing. There is no graduation to larger tip sizes, but you do need to have some degree of control to use larger tips as they are (very generally) easier to play out of tune and require more control. As Justin Chune says he is still using the same mouthpiece. Classical players don't (usually) use larger tip mouthpieces as they want to have a less variable sound/tone. After developing your embouchure this is strictly a matter of personal preference and the type of tone you wish to pursue.

Glad you got to see the eclipse. I feel very sorry for those who stayed in Cairns and missed out. Where were you? When in FNQ I'm living in Malanda in the tablelands.

Practice well and enjoy.

johnny b.

Yes Wade, i was stuck in Cairns but there were a couple of breaks in the clouds. Interesting seeing all the birds head off thinking

it was sunset. I believe the fruitbat colony in town was a bit confused as well. We had the first rain of the wet season last

night so things are getting hot and humid.It is needed though, starting to get a bit dry. I think the tablelands had about 10 mm.

navarro

Hi Johnny and welcome to the cafe, from your thread you sound to be far to busy to enter the C.S.C. but the invitation is there . Regds. Johnny b. good. N

johnny b.

never too busy for a nice brew N . A little bit spoilt up here as the bean is grown locally. I hope I have interpreted
C.S.C. correctly. Thanks for the invite. Can i just say the vibe here is warm and friendly. Elsewhere , as a newby ,

I am was little hesitant to post. Regarding being busy, I do have to travel for work and cannot take my Sax. That
should hopefully change within 12 months. I have also decided to I can do without the television. It has been a bit of
an unnecessary distraction. ( have not put it in a box yet ). withdrawl symptoms. I should be able to get my fix
of local and international news and politics online. JB.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMartin

Welcome, Jonny, from a fellow late starter.

Is it really going to take 10,000 hours. I dont mind if it does. I am committed.
I hope you're not counting them! Forget the numbers and enjoy learning. The more you enjoy it, the better you'll get. I've never understood what figures like that are supposed to mean. Once you can get a note out of the thing, there's no dividing line between "can play" and "can't play". So, on the one hand, you can play already, and on the other you get to spend the rest of your life (or as long as you're physically capable of holding and blowing a sax) trying to get better, no matter how good you are. Which, IMO, makes it all the more enjoyable.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
...Once you can get a note out of the thing, there's no dividing line between "can play" and "can't play"...
I love that comment Martin. I guess that means in spite of all the fluffs and 'bum' notes I am in fact a player already. Mel kindly suggested the other day that I was probably a lot better than I think myself. I guess if we are serious about improvement then none of us believes that we have achieved as much as we have.

Welcome to the Forum Jonny from a member who has also only been here a short time. Time for some more long notes now I guess...

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi JohnnyB,
Welcome from IMBH (Ilkley Moor Bah't Hat)
The PPTs are very forgiving. I tried an 8* and 9* and opted for the 9*. I thought I'd get my head stuck in something that big but it is lovely to play.
I'm sure the 7* would be fine.
Andy

johnny b.

Thanks for the welcomes. That is reassuring Andy. I am looking forward to trying the PPT.

JB.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom