Hello from York

tankie1rtr

Hi All.
I am new to the forum so I would like to say hello to all, I am 55yrs old and have played Clarinet for the last 15 yrs, I have now decided that it is time to try Alto Sax, and I am wondering if it will be an easy or very trying transformation, I suppose I have all the basic ideas for sax as I am already playing on reeds. I have been looking at starter sax's but I have had so many conflicting opinions, I have been looking at Artemis, Earlham, Elkhart, Bundy, and dont know which to go for, one person will tell me that the Elkhart is a great starter sax and another person says stay away from it, so its a bit confusing. I am sure that I will have fun learning when I find the correct horn.

Young Col

Hi and welcome to the informative and fun BR!
Well I doubt whether you will have any trouble at all switching to sax if you have had that much experience on clarinet. I'm just turned 60 and I took up alto about 14 months ago having not played anything seriously for about 25 years and that was a short dabble with clarinet. I am loving coming back to playing music and the sax especially, plus taking the opportunity to do some theory as well. The great thing about the sax is that it overblows at the octave, not the 12th(?) like a clarinet, so the fingering is all much simpler.

As to instruments its all down to personal choice and what you want to pay. I started on a Trevor James Horn that we bought for my son when he was at school. It had been in its case for over 10 years. It was fine for me. Best thing is to go to a good shop and try some (other members up your way will have more idea of what's there than us Southereners!). :sax:

Colin

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome Tankie.
Whatever you buy will be okay with us. Someone somewhere will disapprove, just like your choice of licorice stick and most things in life.
Good guys here, so can you give us an idea of what music rings your bell and how you keep those Vikings at bay?
Enjoy.

OP
T

tankie1rtr

Hi All.
Thank you for such a friendly welcome, I am sure that I will enjoy learning Alto Sax, and I am sure the transition will not be too hard, as for the music that I am into, well on Clarinet I like Trad jazz and I also play all of Aker Bilks stuff, as for Sax, well thats a different story, I dont really know any Sax players or music, but I must admit I do like Blues.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the BR, I started on and Earlham series II alto just over 4 years ago. I moved onto the tenor soon after, as I preferred the tone and it seamed to fit in with Rock, Rock 'n' Roll and blues. The Earlham is still going strong though and still gets a good blasting every now and then, and it still feels very solid, has a nice well rounded tone and plays very nicely. With regard to your choice of sax, like Young Col said, get yourself down to a good shop and try as many as you can. They all feel a little different. Sooner or later one will just "fit" your hand. Good luck in your quest.;}

losaavedra

¡Hola! and greetings from Spain. Enjoy yourself here on the BR ... its a very good forum/ resource for all things saxoriphic! I've been wondering about saxophones for a mere 18 months and have come to the (rather artistic!) conclusion that altos are for the paintbrush types (that's me too by the way!), tenors are for the palette knife types (like, lay it on!) whereas baritones are for the 'walk all over everybody' types. Just a thought ... its that "publish and be dammed" time of day here ... when I'm cooking I'm anybodies!!!! I haven't figured anything for the soprano contingent yet ... so I'll just have to wind them up later!!!! Oh, I should mention there's a clarinet in the house ... why can't I play the darn thing at least the same as my alto?!?!?!

OP
T

tankie1rtr

losaavedra

Hi Mike.
Thank you for the greetings, I like the artistic comparison to the Alto, Tenor,and Baritone Sax's, Please let me know when you have found a comparison for the Soprano, I will be interested to hear it, as to having a Clarinet in the house, its just perseverence on getting over the bridge between the low register and the high register, once you have conqured this you are well on your way. as for myself I am still at a loss of what Alto Sax to go for, as I mentioned take the Elkhart for instance, I have been told that they are not very good and the keys are a soft alloy and they bend easily, then other people have said they are wonderful, I have read reviews on the web, like Stephen Howard Woodwind, and others and they seem to contradict each other, so I am no further forward. I think that you getting over the Clarinet Bridge is going to be easier than me deciding on a Sax.
REgards
John

Pauline

Subscriber
Hi tankie1rtr,
welcome to the Breakfast Room from Hornsea!

Sorry, I don't know of any good sax shops in the East Riding but I think there might be some Bradford way.

You could hire one from somewhere like sax.co.uk until you feel more knowledgable about what you are looking for. :):sax:

losaavedra

Hi John,
Just for the record my alto was from Yago Music in Cologne (see Google for http://yago-music.de/) and is an 'Eastman' model 501 (at least the serial number on mine is EAS5017038 as coming from them), purchased in December 2007 by "Mrs L" as a Christmas pressie. They managed to UPS it to me here in Spain without any problems and the all up price we paid as result of a winning bid on eBay was around 150 quid. It seems they now want E350 for same thing (presumably plus carriage) which with Euro/pound parity means they're now selling it for around twice as much. At the time of our successful bid the "buy now" price was 195 quid so it may be worthwhile looking at eBay to see what they're offering it for there now. I got the impression that they keep one in the auction system to keep 'em moving and the rest sell at whatever they think they can get. OK so what's it like? Well, from my beginner's point of view there's nothing wrong with it at all. Once I'd managed to get a couple of notes out of it the rest followed pretty naturally. The only thing I'd played before with similar fingering was school recorder but nevertheless some of it comes naturally. The tone, as far a I'm concerned sounds pretty OK. I've done the usual beginner things like reed trials and also got a Yam 6C at some point ... but what came with it still plays fine. I've spent far more time trying to get my embouchure right ... but that's a 'me' thing and would likely apply whatever sax I had. Finally, I guess my alto is almost certainly of Chinese origin, badged up in whatever way the distributor asks it to be. I don't have any problem with that, its how it plays that matters ... all my music producing stuff seems to be of oriental parentage (5 guitars, various keyboards, several amps, processors, etc.) all seem to come from that part of the world anyway!!!! Worth a look at Yago in my opinion, but others here may have different but equally (if not more) valid suggestions. Pauline's idea to try a few before committing seems like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tankie1rtr

Hi Mike.
Thank you for your reply, I will certainly look on ebay see whats going, and also see if I can see an "Eastman" I have heard a lot of reports that china is producing some very good models, my trouble is that I spend more time researching different reviews on websites than looking on ebay, then I have missed potential bargains, I have this opinion that if you dont do your research then you will get bitten, I think my trouble is I dont know when to stop....lol. hows things in Spain, I was a Continental Coach driver for 14 yrs and Spain was on my list, Barcelona, Llorett de Mar, Tossa de Mar, and various other places, I also spent a lot of time in Germany, Cologne was one of my favourite places, lovely big music shop there.
Regards
John

old git

Tremendous Bore
Tankie,
Can you do a reasonable "Didn't he ramble"?
I only ask as Young Col, the Official Zimmer Retainer of the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive is interested in a New Orleans style funeral and the CaSLM will endeavour to grant the wishes of its oldest servant.

Doing anything next Tuesday?

Phil Edwards

Hi, welcome from East Sussex, good luck in your search. If you see anything you like the look of ask away for feedback - but as you've already found be prepared for some contradictions!

regards, Phil

Young Col

A protesting correction to OGs comment. I'm not the oldest in the Croydon mob; I'll leave you to guess that one Tankie! I still regard myself as middle aged with a youthful outlook; I just avoid looking in mirrors. I've specified Burgundy Street Blues, but no date set, so just hold yourself in readiness. OG will pay your fare from mob funds when the time comes.

Once you've got your alto, you could test your competence and cross over ability by attempting to play both Jimmy Noone's clarinet and Joe Poston's alto parts to Apex Blues. That would be a useful analogy to Alphonse Picou's High Society lone clarinet break.

Top Bottom