support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Wales

Philly123

Hi, I've just joined this evening - been looking in for a few weeks, ever since I stumbled across this site during one of my very many internet trawls.

I've just started learning to play, although have always wanted to but just never got around to it! Finally thought I'd take the plunge. I've have had 3 lessons so far and I'm really enjoying it but I expect my family and neighbours will enjoy it more when the sound I produce sounds more like it should!

I'm currently renting a sax from my teacher but looking around for one to buy. Not sure whether to buy a (cheapish) new shiny one or better quality second hand. Anyway, I'll continue thinking about it and hopfully make a decision, before I've paid the price of a new sax in rental fees!

Andante cantabile

I'm currently renting a sax from my teacher but looking around for one to buy. Not sure whether to buy a (cheapish) new shiny one or better quality second hand. Anyway, I'll continue thinking about it and hopfully make a decision, before I've paid the price of a new sax in rental fees!
Getting a nice-looking instrument, new or used, shouldn't break the bank. Just steer away from the gold-plated stuff.

saxnik

Getting a nice-looking instrument, new or used, shouldn't break the bank. Just steer away from the gold-plated stuff.
...and anything 'from China' on eBay...! Good to have you aboard.

A browse around the site will give you a few ideas about what to look for in particular. I favour Yamahas, Trevor James's and a lot of people on here swear by a Bauhaus Walstein, though I've never played one...

Cheers,

Nick

TomMapfumo

Hi Philly123!

Not sure what happened to my earlier post - but welcome to the Caffi Sacsoffon! Glad to have you aboard, especially as you also live in Wales, and hope that you really enjoy getting to learn and play the sax. Any time invested in playing will be well spent and progress can be at a good speed if you practice regularly and enjoy what you are doing.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Philly123, what cruel parents you must of had! Anyway, welcome to the cafe, have a good stay.

OP
Philly123

Philly123

Hi everyone, what a fantastic welcome. I'm sensing there's something going on with my name, though! Anyway I looking at a couple of TJames on ebay - Classic (£299 ex rental) or Artemis. Both seem to be beginner's models, which I guess will do me for a while. What do you think, any reason to avoid?

TomMapfumo

If you want to spend £300 in the best way possible I would get a Bauhaus Walstein - pro quality at student price, and very highly rated and respected. Look up www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk or www.studiosaxophones.co.uk for brand new saxes at £300 - £350. Trevor James saxes are not bad, but just not to the same standard as the BW's. Depending on where you are in Wales the latter dealer is in Abergavenny. Both offer a very good service!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Top Bottom