Tutorials

hello from Vienna, Austria

ralphy1976

hello everyone,

My name is ralphy and i am in Vienna in Austria. I have realised a boyhood dream and recently purchased a Tenor saxophon, and i love it (no previous experience of wind / brass instrument, i am more of a guitar / bass / drum person)

right now i am trying not to upset my neighbours and practise whenever possible.

I do have a question : when is the right time to change saxophon? ( i have the opportunity to buy a 1976 Selmer MK7 for a decent price and since it is my date of birth i am really tempted)

Looking forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Schuss
Ralphy

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi/welcome.

Doesn't do a lot of good to change saxes - you need to learn to play, not learn a different instrument's foibles. Having said that, if the instrument you're currently using is mediocre/average, there's a lot to be said for getting something better, as then you can be sure any poblems are you and not the instrument..... What are you playing at the moment? Don't worry, we won't laugh or look down on you.

If you hadn't guessed, I'd go for the MkVII, assuming I liked the way it played. You'll always be able to sell it on for a good price.

Looks as if GAS is setting in early :w00t:, so you must be a true saxophonist. :)))

Gruss

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Ralphy

Welcome to the cafe,glad to hear your loving your new sax,you didn't say what make it was so it's difficult to say what quality of sax it is,but in my opinion if you really fancy the selmer and the funds to buy it isn't a problem then being a novice player isn't important you can learn just as well on the selmer as the one you have now and if the selmer is in good condition your going to know your playing a quality instrument.the only real problem I see is you may get fed up quickly and give it up but then you can always sell them again...good luck and avoid getting GAS...JOHN

thehunt

Hi Ralphy, wilkommen bei uns. Good bunch here on the forum. I would say if you are serious about the sax and think you will stick with it then get the Selmer, but that is my opinion.
All the best Phil

OP
ralphy1976

ralphy1976

GAS???? i wish i didn't know what it was or how much i costs!!!

my current sax is a C.GIANT ...yeah you can laugh :))))) which i bought 2 weeks ago for 150 euros (2nd hand)

i am quite happy with it considering it the 1st sax i own and i can get some noise out of it.

More seriously, i am aware that the better the instrument the better the sound and the more rewarding it is, but after how long should one look into changing a sax?

i know i could upgrade the mouth piece, but considering how much i paid for the sax it seems slightly wrong.

Thanks guys!!:sax:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
GAS???? i wish i didn't know what it was or how much i costs!!!

my current sax is a C.GIANT ...yeah you can laugh :))))) which i bought 2 weeks ago for 150 euros (2nd hand)

i am quite happy with it considering it the 1st sax i own and i can get some noise out of it.

More seriously, i am aware that the better the instrument the better the sound and the more rewarding it is, but after how long should one look into changing a sax?

i know i could upgrade the mouth piece, but considering how much i paid for the sax it seems slightly wrong.

Thanks guys!!:sax:
We're not laughing, many of us can't affod anything better.

Change the sax when you are aware of the limitations of your current sax, AND know enough about it to feel confident looking at bette saxes and will be able to assess the pos and cons of the others that are available. In other words, use you current one until you know it's holding you back.

Good thing about the MkVII is that if you buy wisel and look after it you should be able to get your money back when you swap, AND it's a good enough sax tha you will know it's you, not the sax, that isn't delivering.

Mouthpieces - this is one that's a good candidate for immediate replacement - many of those supplied with the chinese saxes are poor and difficult to play. A Rico Royal B3, yamaha 4C make a good starter piece. Tom Mapfumo will be along with a Runyon recommendation soon, I'm sure. Or you can search the site for beginners mouthpieces. Lots of threads on that. Keep the old one to pass on with the old sax. If you want a Selmer mouthpiece, the S80 C* is a good starter, but they're about the same price as your sax. Good thing is that it'll work well with the MkVII....

OP
ralphy1976

ralphy1976

danke vielmals Kev!!

i had already decided that i was going to buy that yamaha mouthpiece you are mentioning having read many many times that it was a good investment. (it was also mentioned by www.sax.co.uk).

As for the selmer, i totally agree with the fact that right now i may be able to hear / feel / see the difference with the sax i have, but i know that selmer do sell well as 2nd hand, so it is a little bit of a "safe" investment if i decide to go for it!!

we shall see i am sure that i will find another one in 1 year if i don't get one now!!!

on a side note : i seem not to be able to hit a G from the start, i can only do a G as a note in a suite of note. eg C A G B G A...

i have read / saw that some people attack this note a bit harder, but i feel like i am almost always going sharp when i want to do a G

practise makes perfect they say!!!

thanks
ralphy

Two Voices

Hi Ralphy,

Welcome to the Cafe!

I have serious GAS at the moment so I can't say don't buy the Selmer MKVII. In fact if it was me, I'd probably buy it! :)))

I can vouch for the Yamaha 4c Mouthpiece - very good, very consistent!

Enjoy your journey with the saxophone - after all thats the most important thing of all!

Happy blowing,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Welcome Ralphy.
I can't better the advice of others about the MKVII.
As to problems getting the G, you will soon find that it gets easier with practice and you will find it hard to get other notes - probably low Bb and high E and F. It's happened to all of us! Practice, especially going up to or down to the note that you have trouble with, rather than trying to hit it on its own - and keep doing it!
Good luck
YC

OP
ralphy1976

ralphy1976

thank YC.

that's what i have in mind. G is really the one which is frustrating me the most, but i think it is a combination of my embouchure and my ability to always have a constant embouchure and my blowing ability!!!

still i am loving it (and not the JT / McD way) and i am looking forward to tomorrow pm so i get make some more noise!!!!

johnboy

Hi Ralphy, and welcome aboard,dive in and enjoy the fun.

The important thing about the Selmer is the price. If it's a bargain, go for it, but only if you can comfortably afford it!!!
As to if it's a bargain, you might like to take advice from the guys.

John.

OP
ralphy1976

ralphy1976

hola Juanito, thanks for the advice. i can have it for 1500 GBP, which looking around seems like a decent price for teh condition.

and i agree with you, GAS only if GASing doesn't mean eating dust for a week or 2!!

gracias
ralphy

Sunray

Hey Hey ... and Welcome to the Cafe ...

Well ralphy ...

I ain't gonna tell you to buy or not ...

Cos I am just not a very good example to follow ... :shocked:

I am in my latter years and was reminded [by a member here] that I am probably on my last third of life ... :shocked: [Yep! - I am just a young 63 pushing 64] - Just a kid really !!!

Even though I am a total n00b to music and all Instruments ... My first ever was Alto in June last year [quickly followed by a Tenor] ... :mrcool

I spent a fortune on my two beautiful saxophones. They don't play themselves, serenade me when I am tired or magically improve the effort that I put down their shapely bodies ...

BUT ...

I luv em to bits ... and I don't regret buying them in any way at all ... :w00t:

I will say this ralphy ...

You must do what it is that you want to do ... as long as it doesn't interfere with or hurt others along the way mate ...

Good luck mate ... *Sunray waves*

Andante cantabile

I do have a question : when is the right time to change saxophon? ( i have the opportunity to buy a 1976 Selmer MK7 for a decent price and since it is my date of birth i am really tempted)
I don't know anything about either the saxophone you play now or the Selmer Mk VII. And it seems to me that neither are you all that familiar with what you have. So, in a way, this wouldn't be a bad time to change. You wouldn't have to unlearn much, and you could make progress on the instrument you want to keep.

Something you want to bear in mind is that the choice of saxophones is huge, and that Selmer is by no means the accepted standard for good ones. On these pages you'll find fierce advocates of the excellence of all sorts of brands and models. The point is that these players have found what they are happy with. Some got there very early, others are not quite there yet.

Kevgermany is right: you need to learn to play, not learn a different instrument's foibles.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
G should be one of the easiest notes to get. Are you tonguing the reed as you play individual notes? Is it just as difficult at G+Octave? Might be worth getting it checked for leaks, even if it's new. One of the attractions of the BW is that they're set up in the UK by good saxdocs, something that isn't the case with many others.

OP
ralphy1976

ralphy1976

Kev,

right now i am talking only about G, as i want to be able to play all "simple" notes in the C major scale.

i will practise more to see if this is only a technique issue or more. i am also going to order the yamaha 4C mouthpiece.

i think i tongue the 1st note i play but if i roll notes together i don't think i tongue each one. i will check next time.

thanks for the tips
Ralphy

Top Bottom