All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hello from the South West of England!

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

Flatmasterflex

Hi all! I've only been playing since January and I'm loving it so far. Learning by feel and a few youtube videos here and there, so I'm probably forming some terrible habits... But I think I sound pretty good :)

I have a cheap Chinese, "made in France" Selmer. I know, I shouldn't support copies, but I'm broke and I have a dream, so there. Enjoying some improv around the C (concert) Major and Minor scales, as they are easy to finger and quite satisfying to play. Using a Legere Signature 2 which I'm finding really easy to use compared to cane reeds, although still struggling to hit notes in the upper octaves.

I'll be looking in the forums for advice on learning alone, as I won't be getting a teacher for some time. That's about the long and the short of it.

Thanks for having me!

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
Welcome from Bris'l.

I know it's difficult right now, but it's a really god idea to have a teacher when you are learning.

Zugzwang

Café Supporter
And welcome from mid Devon! This is the place for getting questions answered, although there’s rarely a definitive yes/no. You haven’t said what size of sax…

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
Welcome aboard if you haven't been to the cafe shop already it might be a good place to start there are a few books for beginners with all the advice you might need

Flatmasterflex

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I'm playing alto Zugzwang. In the Plymouth area, so if you hear some screeching high notes from across the moors, that's me!

Thanks gladsaxisme, I'll take a look. I have Absolute Beginners Alto Saxophone, which got me started.

Cheers for the advice nigeld, I'll look online to see if I can get some skype lessons. Some pretty cheap lessons on Fiverr, not sure of the quality though. Cost is an issue, as I'm setting up a business and have no income right now.

Cheers all.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
I was wondering what strength of legere you are using I tried one and it was too hard for me I think its a 2.75

Flatmasterflex

I was wondering what strength of legere you are using I tried one and it was too hard for me I think its a 2.75
I'm using a 2. Worked great out of the box, instantly hitting notes far more easily than the Vandoren 16 3's I started using (which are equivalent to a 2.75 Legere apparently). As it's 7 months old now, it's probably well past it. The end is a little deformed and it's a lot harder to play the upper range than it used to be. I seem to play without changing my embouchure up to middle D, which is where I tend to stay 90% of the time. This is probably terrible for my embouchure development, but it's so easy to hit those notes. I'm having a blast playing and feel like I'm making real progress with my composition and fingerwork.

Writing this it's clear I need a new reed. I'll be buying another Legere Signature 2 for sure.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom