All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello from the Scottish Borders

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Hi

I'm a hatched-again saxophonist

I had lessons at school which I detested and gave up but I still liked the sax so played along to music without ever developing a clear understanding of musical structure/harmony etc. Then came children, my playing dwindled to nought and I retreated into a soundproof shell for 15 years

A couple of months ago it occurred to me to dust off the alto, stand outside in the sunshine (that single ray of sunshine this summer) and blast away. Then I went online to see what's what in the sax world and it was like being woken from a coma to find the world has changed immeasurably. A small example is me not realising that getting your sax serviced is considered usual. I'd never really got on with my tenor from buying it in 1990. I found it a complete pig to play compared to alto and in the spirit of trying not to be a bad workman I convinced myself that I really wasn't suited to the tenor. I took it to Bryce at Brass and Woodwind in Edinburgh and he has transformed it into a joy to play

Through Pete's website I have an understanding of what's required of me to improve my playing. I have a strategy in place and I'm getting on with learning scales and arpeggio's, trying to develop sight reading and I'm starting piano lessons to help iron out several unhelpful mental shortcuts when I identify notes, to get a better appreciation of which cord sounds like what and also for the fun of it

I've enjoyed reading posts on this forum for the past month or so and I've been drawn to comments and links about shiny new saxophones like a moth to the flame. I'm going to leave off impulse buying for now, the horns I have are perfectly respectable, but next year it'll be my half-century birthday so I'm trying to persuade t'other half to think a bari would be a suitable present, Oh and I'll need a nice portable curly sop in the not too distant future, Oh and I'm sure a new mouthpiece would help...

Other interests: smallholding, cycling, food

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi,
And welcome from further north of the Border!

Look forward to hearing how you progress.

Cheers,

Amanda

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Ivan

Nice intro :D a big welcome to the cafe from the pool of life :thumb:

Enjoy your new journey

llamedos

Welcome, Ivan. Strikes me you are re-starting with just the right attitude and I hope you get a load of enjoyment out of your instruments. Keep your foot in the door of the caff and, if nothing else, you'll get a few chuckles although serious help never seems far away should you ever need it. It's great to be in touch with like-minded people, isn't it?

Dave

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Hi

I'm going to leave off impulse buying for now, the horns I have are perfectly respectable, but next year ...

:))):))):))):))):))):))):))):))) - heard that one lots on here! Good luck with that :thumb:

Welcome to the forum Ivan. I've been here a matter of weeks myself and have appreciated every minute of it. Lots of sound help and willing company, and some chuckles along the way to keep us grounded.

Look forward to chatting amongst the threads as time goes by, as they say.

Mel

QWales

Welcome Ivan,

I've only recently come back from visiting relations in the unfortunately pronounced Creetown. I guess that's got to be somewhere close to you. Good luck with the practice and don't forget to do some of the good stuff too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin Chune

Hello Ivan and welcome to the cafe. I was down your way playing with the Peebles Concert Band just last week, and what a great time I had. There's a lot of fun to be had playing music so do the basics and join in. Are you going for lessons?

Jim.

What

Welcome to the forums. Lots of good people here to learn with, joke with and just enjoy a bit of down time. Enjoy your stay with us.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Ivan.

Appropriate cartoon in the current Private Eye. Romans building Hadrian's Wall with a legionnaire saying "We're giving them independence. Despite the possible border, saxophonist are always welcome.

ENJOY!
​™

visionari1

Welcome Ivan,
Sounds, like you have yourself all sorted out, sax and study wise.

I had a great time in the Borders area on holiday in 2010, it's a lovely part of Scotland
Cheers from and ex scot in New Zealand

Zeus

Welcome to the cafe, you did well to join, the incentives from interaction through the forum are positive on all levels:)

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
the unfortunately pronounced Creetown. I guess that's got to be somewhere close to you.
That's over in the south-west of Scotland, so not my neck of the woods but lovely all the same

Are you going for lessons?
Only piano lessons for the mo' but once I get a modicum of sax proficiency using the Taming the Sax book I'll look out for a sax teacher in the Edinburgh area... if you know of one that would be very helpful

Welcome to the Scottish Borders from the Border Marches
By coincidence Shrewsbury is my home town

Cheers from and ex scot in New Zealand
NZ is a stunningly beautiful country for which there will always be a place in my heart: me and t'missus got married there and as a result of wedding night enthusiasm our firstborn was delivered 9 months later in Christchurch

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
That's over in the south-west of Scotland, so not my neck of the woods but lovely all the same

Only piano lessons for the mo' but once I get a modicum of sax proficiency using the Taming the Sax book I'll look out for a sax teacher in the Edinburgh area... if you know of one that would be very helpful

By coincidence Shrewsbury is my home town

NZ is a stunningly beautiful country for which there will always be a place in my heart: me and t'missus got married there and as a result of wedding night enthusiasm our firstborn was delivered 9 months later in Christchurch
My home town is Liverpool, but Shrewsbury is only 25 minutes from here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
:))):))):))):))):))):))):))):))) - heard that one lots on here! Good luck with that :thumb:

Welcome to the forum Ivan. I've been here a matter of weeks myself and have appreciated every minute of it. Lots of sound help and willing company, and some chuckles along the way to keep us grounded.

Look forward to chatting amongst the threads as time goes by, as they say.

Mel
Yeah I know I'm fooling myself...must not buy sax, must not buy sax, must buy sax

Corona4007

Onya Ivan. Christchurch is finally starting to pick up the pieces and move on from the shakes of recent times.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom