support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from the only Yank in Yorkshire

Morgan Fry

Locality
Leeds
...Only one I've met at least. Little about myself, I am from the Los Angeles area originally but now I live in sunny Leeds. As a player I've made my living with a horn in my face for most of my adult life, spent the last few years as MD on ships for Princess and Cunard. Anyway, I'm settled here now, playing some and making and refacing mouthpieces. Besides music my other obsessions include cooking and poker. That's it in a nutshell, happy to be here!
Morgan

Hi and welcome to the room from East Sussex. You'll fit in just fine, in fact we'll be looking for tips from you so stick around.

regards, Phil

Hi Morgan from West Surrey.

I played one of Morgan's "Floridated Link" tenor pieces on a passaround recently. It was a very fine mouthpiece in a classic mainstream way and I really enjoyed it. I believe it went on to Holland next and should be circulating around Europe now.

All the best

Rhys

PS Where exactly is "Sunny Leeds" ?

¡Hola! Morgan, welcome to the BR from a very hot 'n sticky Spain (roughly as hot as where you're from even!). Funny how a lot of the people here in 'other countries' aren't from there originally these days!!! I went to Leeds quite a lot when I was doing some work to do with radiology at LGI (Leeds General Infirmary). Cooking eh! ... one of my favorite activities ... even more so than consuming the result. Also poker (but nobody will play with me any more!!!). Enjoy yourself here, very friendly people ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the BR, Morgan. Good Welsh name so maybe I won't rewrite Paul's lyrics as "The only living Yank in Leeds". Damn, doesn't even scan. Maybe "The only living American mouthpiece refacer in Leeds."

BTW What is the difference between Formula One Stock Cars up at the Bradford Stadium and NASCAR? Notice they both seem to crash a lot.

Welcome to the BR, Morgan. Good Welsh name so maybe I won't rewrite Paul's lyrics as "The only living Yank in Leeds". Damn, doesn't even scan. Maybe "The only living American mouthpiece refacer in Leeds."

BTW What is the difference between Formula One Stock Cars up at the Bradford Stadium and NASCAR? Notice they both seem to crash a lot.

Don't know what they run at Bradford, but afaik in the States NASCAR is stock cars and Formula One is not. Course you drive a lot of cars really fast and some fo 'em will crash. They can live through a little bump or two in NASCAR, though.

Hello Morgan and welcome to the BR from the Green (and cold) Mountains ~

:welldone

Hi Morgan
The only yank in Yorkshire? I don't think so! Have a trip up to Menwith Hill the spy station just west of Harrogate. We're knee deep in them.
Have fun in the breakfast room.

Andrew

Hi Morgan. Welcome. That breakfast recipe looks monster.
YC

Hi Morgan
The only yank in Yorkshire? I don't think so! Have a trip up to Menwith Hill the spy station just west of Harrogate. We're knee deep in them.
Have fun in the breakfast room.

Andrew

Hey, I keep forgetting about them. Ok, only one in West Yorkshire ;).

Hello Morgan.

Welcome to the Breakie Room, from NZ.....La now there's a mean town, quite different from Leeds I suspect..an improvement I think!

Ciao
Jimu

Hi Morgan
welcome from East Yorkshire! This is a great forum I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My husband is from the US but a Texan not a Yank!
I mentioned your recipe for biscuits and gravy and he went all dreamy over the thought.....

Now, do you know anywhere I can get turnip greens from??? :)

Hi Morgan
welcome from East Yorkshire! This is a great forum I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My husband is from the US but a Texan not a Yank!
I mentioned your recipe for biscuits and gravy and he went all dreamy over the thought.....

Now, do you know anywhere I can get turnip greens from??? :)

Beats me. 40 kinds of cabbage here and no collards or turnip greens. The long leafy spring cabbage makes a decent substitute. Cook it with not too much water and some salt & pepper and bacon grease.

So what do you make of the accent in Yorkshire? Come to think of it, what do they make of yours? Must be some true cultural exchange going on.

Welcome from an Englishman in GrEnada.

Martin

So what do you make of the accent in Yorkshire? Come to think of it, what do they make of yours? Must be some true cultural exchange going on.

Welcome from an Englishman in GrEnada.

Martin

Man, sometimes I can't make heads or tails of it. Nor them I. It is interesting though. Some things about the dialect are still a bit disconcerting occasionally. I don't think I'll ever get used to gruff, middle aged, working-class men calling me 'luv'.

I was in Grenada a bit this winter, btw. Lovely island.

Hi Morgan and welcome, fine name you have there, same as my sons.

Rather more merry-cans over here than you possibly imagine, its all part of the master plan to claim the UK as the last state of the union, when we're all asleep the signal will go up and hey presto we'll be the only non French surrender monkeys Britain ever had! :)))

I don't think I'll ever get used to gruff, middle aged, working-class men calling me 'luv'.

Have you checked the way you walk? I'd be a bit worried too. I know they're a bit funny up there, but calling you 'luv' is just taking it too far!

Martin

Hi Morgan,
I only just arrived but Welcome anyway :)
I've enjoyed reading your page in my recent quest to demystify mouthpieces.

Re: Nascars, I always thought of them as what would happen if Peakhour traffic moved at over 100 miles an hour :D scary but funny at the same time.

Hi man,

I'm also in Leeds - and got a couple of mates who are also off the ships... do you have a shop where you do your mouthpiece work from? Are you gigging in Leeds? You ever do playing any of the music college lot (or ex music college lot)?

Hope you're enjoying being in the greatest county in england (cue arguments from those from poor old Lanceshire :p ).

Oli

Back
Top Bottom