SYOS

Hello from the Netherlands

Hnks

Hi all. I’m a Bb saxophonist for 30 years, soprano, bass and tenor. Musical inspiration ranges from Steve Lacy to world music and (modern) jazz. Experimenting with electronic effects and refacing my own mouthpieces (where did one find large tip opening soprano mouthpieces or bass sax mouthpieces 20 years ago?). I like discussion forums, mostly for inspiration to try things out in the practice room.

Wonko

Hello, Welcome to the forum.
Strange series of instruments.....
Still, I have been thinking myself of expanding my current stable (1 tenor sax ;-) ) towards the lower side of the spectrum. At first I thought that a bass sax would be a good step down from a tenor, that it would extend my range more than a baritone.
But most advice that I had from others was along the lines "better go for a bari" ..... The range is only a few notes less than a bass and there is more demand for a bari in most bands.......
I would like to hear what your opinion is on this point?

OP
H

Hnks

The bass sax is a bass instrument, with the sound of one. If you want to play melodically, a bari is better, easier to find and cheaper. The bass sax is not a very practical instrument. But if you want to play bass, but only can play saxophone, it’s a solution - for me.

Top Bottom