All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hello from sunny Florida

George

Hi all,

Just joined. I am retired and have always enjoyed listing to Sax music...... So I decided I should learn to play one. I listened to much and fell for the Soprano and Tenor Sax. I bought an inexpensive one (Cecilio Soprano). I received it today, shipped from California. I promptly got it out of the box, put the neck in the body, moistened a reed, assembled the reed on the mouthpiece, with the edge of the reed exactly even with the tip of the mouthpiece, and tightened the legiture.

I put the mouthpiece on the neck, and tried to make a sound. Just a rush of air at first. Moving the mouthpiece in an out of the mouth, I managed to create a high pitched schreek and a medium (kind of mello) sound.

At this moment I am doubting I will ever get a musical sound out of it. I go for a first lesson tomorrow.

George

1/21/2011

Two Voices

Hi George,

Welcome to the Café!

Nice choice of instruments. Don’t be disheartened, it’ll come. Like many said to me, it would be better to concentrate on one instrument to begin with. Out of the two I would suggest the Tenor as the Soprano is most difficult to keep in tune from top to bottom when just starting.

Having a teacher will be a major help in getting started. Within a lesson or two you be playing a couple of simple tunes then it’ll start to come together!

One thing I can say to get better is; PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Best of luck with your journey!

Paul

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hello from sunny Manchester George

Welcome to the cafe enjoy your new saxual experiences, best advice I can give you is don't expect miracles take your time and basically just enjoy the ride...john

Young Col

Welcome George, from dull, rainy London!
That's the way we all started, so you can only progress from there.
YC

Sunray

Hey Hey George ...

Glad you decided to get yourself all musical mate ...

Sax is a great instrument ... [No mater which one(s) you decide to play] :sax:

My advice is to settle in and enjoy yourself ... after all life can be dull if you let it be ... ;}

Oh! Yeah ... I am in Norfolk in the UK - and like you I am past working ... :)))

I no longer have time for it! ha ha :)))

George

Thanks from Sunny Florida

I appreciate all the replys. At the moment, its still difficult to understand how the beautiful notes come from this instrument.

I'll post how the lesson went tomorrow.

George

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome to the Cafe, George. There'll be plenty of advice here and lots of banter here to keep you going!
Cheers,
Amanda

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Welcome from a very cold Germany. I'm sure the lesson will help a lot. But your experience is the same as most of ours... Just get your teacher to check your mouthpiece, some of those supplied with saxes are really difficult to play, and a good beginners one will probably make a world of difference without costing the earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ville K.

Hello George!

Warm welcome to the Café from cold, dark and snowy Finland!

Keep us posted on how you progress.

Have fun!

Kind regards,

Gandalfe

I remember starting on soprano. I doubted I'd ever perform in public on it; the intonation is a bear to control for me. Now I really luv it and use it a lot in quartets. I even have a community band solo on it in Holst's "Venus" to work up for the Spring concert. Welcome to the cafe.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe George. Enjoy yourself that's the key to sax success! If you don't enjoy it.... get some bagpipes instead (Just don't expect to keep your friends!!!)

visionari1

G'day George,

Looks like you dive right into things.
Enjoy the freindship and knowledge this forum offers & enjoy the ride. Welcome & cheers from NZ

thehunt

Hi George, big welcome form me too. The Sop is not the easiest to start with but stay with it, once you get it, it will sound lovely.

All the best.
Phil

George

Well I took my first lesson. The instructor didn't think too well of my brand new Cecilio Soprano Sax. It is beautiful looking, but some of the keys are sluggish, and the Octive key was either not opening or sticking open.

I called the seller, (Mendini Music in California) and they agreed to refund all but the shipping charge of 24.95. So I am happy with that.
My instructor loaned me an Alpine Alto Sax to continue practicing on. He will sell it to me for $200, if I like it.

Anybody heard of the Alpine brand. Everything seems to be functioning. So I will continue with that for the time being.

Please give me your opinions on the Alpine Dehan.

George

Top Bottom