Hello from 'Steel Band Land'

Martin

Hello from Grenada in the West Indies, I’d like to introduce myself to the folk of the forum.
I’ve been playing an old Buescher True Tone alto for the last thirty years, since my brother gave it to me when I was thirteen. It’s kind of beaten up, but it plays. It’s been everywhere with me. The case makes a great seat for two when waiting for the last train home after a night staggering around town. In truth it’s a while since I did that, now being a respectable 43 years old and married to the girl who used to sit on the box with me, steady job, etc.
I’ve always been able to blast out a pretty melody, but not much more. Some time ago, I jammed with a good saxophonist. He spoke a language that I didn’t understand. He spoke of analysing the chords into II chords, I chords, V chords, etc. I watched over his shoulder. After analysing the piece, there were many fewer chord changes. The next day I ordered a book ‘The Jazz Theory Book’ by Mark Levine. I’m half way through it now. It’s really heavy going but I understand the language...still can’t put it into practice mind you.
A year ago I bought a gorgeous ‘The Martin’ tenor and recently put a PPT 9 star mouthpiece on it. I love it...lots of ********! Still waiting for an RPC mouthpiece which I ordered a long time ago...

Pee Dee

Hi welcome from the sunny south of England. Sounds a bit silly saying that to you:(
The sunny south of England bit I mean:ashamed

Young Col

Hi Martin. I'm sure there is no-one else from Grenada, or even WI on here, so welcome! Great story.

Not so sunny up here nearer London today - very wet actually!
Colin

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to you Martin, please could you stick some sunshine in a jar and send it to me, I'm sure you've got more than enough to spare! I liked your story, very romantic! I cant get my head around the "jazz" thing, it's not that I don't like it, it's just....too many notes, so little time!:))) I hope you enjoy the BR and we become real friends and thanks for the anticipated long stay holiday in your house:))):)))

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Hello Martin from the Green Mountains. I understand your affection for your Buescher Tru Tone Alto, as I have one handed down to me by a family member as well, and I just can't part with it.

Welcome ;}

OP
Martin

Martin

Can't part with a Tru Tone

Hello Martin from the Green Mountains. I understand your affection for your Buescher Tru Tone Alto, as I have one handed down to me by a family member as well, and I just can't part with it.

Welcome ;}
Hi Luluna. When my brother gave the Tru Tone to me, it came with the stipulation that "It's yours as long as you play it. You may NEVER sell it".
At times that has seemed like a drag, for example, at one time I bought myself as shiny new Yanagisawa alto and also a soprano. There came a day when I needed to raise some cash for a boat building project and I sold both of the fancy instruments, just keeping the rattly old Buescher, partly because I like it, but also partly because of that old stipulation. You know what though, one of these days soon, I'm going to restore it and if I manage to do a decent job, well maybe it'll be just like a shiny new one...maybe better, who knows.

I recently bought a book on Woodwind repair. My first project is my old clarinet and if that's successful, then it will be time for the Buescher. I've been reading up on 'swedging' the tubes to remove the slack and extending the rods where the pivot screws are, again to remove the huge amount of slack that my instrument has. Sounds scary, but if I manage it, it'll be immensly satisfying.

Collected a new tenor mouthpiece from the post office yesterday (it was ordered last August!). It's an RPC!!!! Played it last night and couldn't decide which I prefer, the PPT 9 star or the RPC. They are quite different. I'll play them some more this afternoon.

Sorry for rambling on, Martin

AlanB

Hi Martin,
Hello from Laos, green, mountainous, sunny....but landlocked!!!:(
I am from Bermuda, right the other end of the island chain...and then a bit further still. I grew up in Barbados, St. Kitts, Saba and Antigua and then 4 years in St. Lucia. Granada is a truly lovely place, i've been there many times, you are a lucky man. I look forward to swapping stories in the Breakfast Room in the near future. Very huge welcome from the BR, grab a croissant, sip a cappacino and enjoy.
Alan

AlanB

P.S. Oh yeah, I also love sailing. Pulled into St.George's Yacht Club a few times for Gin 'n' Tonics and a Roti.

Oh and apologies for miss-spelling 'Grenada'.
Al

Richard Perks

Welcome Martin from West of the West...... Sunny (at the moment) British Columbia. Yes I had the same wait for an RPC :confused::confused: and he only lives a few hundred miles from me........... but I think it's the best I ever played on!!!! mind you only ever had one other mthpce, Berg Larsen, bought in '58.
Enjoy the breakfast Room, we all do
Richard:sax:

Top Bottom