Tutorials

hello from south Yorkshire

yam62

hello there my name is Richard.
been playing the sax since x-mas 2009
was intrigued by the sax for many a year and finally decided to buy myself a sax.
not knowing any thing about sax's make, model range. i went with the one i liked the look of and was the cheapest.

after playing for a few months and taking lessons with a professional sax player (P.Millen)
after reaching that beginner level sax's limit i have recently just purchased myself this.
my new baby My Yamaha Yas 62 Alto

am still playing and still learning.
would love to get together with other players to have a jamm session.

well i hope i haven't bored you to much :D
thankyou

Pauline

Subscriber
As a fellow Tyke let me be the first to welcome you to the forum! it's a fabulous place to be - lots of good advice and encouragement from a very friendly bunch.
I've been playing tenor for the last two and a half years and wouldn't have got as far as I have without this forum. (Not that I've got very far really but at least I'm still playing!)
Enjoy!

TomMapfumo

Hi Richard, and welcome to Cafe Saxophone!

Do bring your sax with you if ever you are in the area - be very happy to jam with you :w00t:;}!!!!!
Seriously, you have obviously got one of the best pro quality instruments and hope that you really enjoy it. What sort of stuff are you learning at the moment and what are your ambitions, if any , with the sax. When I started learning the sax I also started learning the trumpet at the same time which was great fun, but required a bit of effort in regular practice.

Once you get the bug then you are away, in my experience. Its great to be able to play along with actual recordings of various performers, but would be great fun to find out who is local for jamming and stuff.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Anyway back to practice......:shocked:

OP
yam62

yam62

thank you for the warm welcome :)
currently i am learning various styles mostly jazz, swing and a bit modern pop/rock, as i do own a fair few play along guest spot books; and there are some really great songs in those.
would love to get together for a jamm but am still learning so would be interesting to jamm with someone who has been playing years.

i know this is going to sound daft, but one of the main reasons to start learning the sax was the song baker street by Gerry raferty, currently acquired the sheet music for that. love playing that song, but the sheetmusic i have i think is for a tennor?!? as it sounds a bit to high for a alto.
:sax:

TomMapfumo

You are only the 437th person to have cited that as an influence............:w00t::w00t:;}

Sounds good stuff, and glad that you are enjoying it. A fun thing to do is to put any song on and see whether you can discover the scale used and then do some short contributions to the tune. Start by checking whether certain notes work - such as G A Bb B and go from there. At least, then you are jamming whilst being the only sax player. I remember finding some accompanying lines to several Lily Allen songs on Flugelhorn! Great Fun:welldone

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
yam62

yam62

437 haha popular tune, i keep finding and discovering tunes as i am free styling.
currently working with a C jazz scale that C Eb F F# G Bb C
practising my major arpeggios and scales, just started in my lessons improvisations, but as u will know its a case of trail and error play a bit if it sound good play a bit more. ect ect

also trying to incorporate a few techniques i have learnt.
Trills
Glissando's
and growling

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Richard and welcome to the Cafe. It sounds like your making great progress. I found that playing along to backing tracks is a great help. Do you have the backing for Baker Street? A very kind member on here gave it to me and I'd be only too glad to pass the favour forward. If you want it PM me with your email address and I'll send you the MP3.

OP
yam62

yam62

yeah got the backing for backer street, but thanx for the offer, its the sheet music i have i think its for tenner but still enjoy playing it.

OP
yam62

yam62

thanx jim, was at woodwind Exchange today in Bradford that place is dangerous hehe.
came away with a metal Otto link C5 mouth piece, sounds lovely.

grimey121uk

hi richard
you have a great second sax there and once you get used to it you will realise this, i have had my 62 for the past 5 or so years and have no problems what so ever and i love the nice round sound it produces

Top Bottom