All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello from South Wales

Forensicman

Hi.
I'm new to this site. I've been playing saxophone for about a year and a half now. I play a Yanagisawa tenor (it's a long story but a bloke who came round to my house to do some plastering saw my bass guitars on the wall, we got chatting and he ended up selling me his Yani tenor for £500). I've recently bought a straight Bauhaus soprano. I did have an Arbiter alto but that got part-exchanged as part of the payment for the soprano. Currently on the look out for a workhorse alto - possibly a Yamaha 21/23/275. My first instrument is flute, which I still play and am most at home with, but I'm increasingly asked to play sax.
Currently playing in a blues / rock influenced covers band (sax + flute), a more jazzy blues band (mainly bass, with a bit of soprano sax), and an acoustic trio (mainly bass, but with flute and tenor sax thrown in on occasion).
Day job is consultant forensic scientist.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Forensicman.

You're due for an invite to meet from the Skabertawe mob.

ENJOY!​™

TomMapfumo

Hi there, Forensicman!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Horn Section also in South Wales, mind! (Swansea). Sounds like good progress to be playing in several bands after only 18 months playing the sax. So, are you self taught or do you have any lessons in sax? I hope that you enjoy being a member of the Cafe and look forward to your contibutions over the coming weeks and months.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Forensicman

Hi TomMapfumo.
I just love gigging and playing new stuff with new people. It's a great stress buster.
Playing the flute for about 35 years has helped a lot. I see from the list of instruments you play that you can probably appreciate the value of playing different instruments. I did have two lessons when I got hold of my alto 18 months ago, but after that I bought a fingering chart and have been self taught since then.
I don't play from sheet music: not really from choice, but mainly because my eyesight has got to the stage where playing from notation has become tricky - the sheet of paper never seems to be the right distance from my eyes! Luckily I've a good ear for a tune so can normally work out what needs to be played. Generally, once I've locked into the mood of a song and have worked out the key everything normally follows OK. Not having a burning desire to play blistering solos is also a bonus.
I see you have a BW straight soprano sax. My Bauhaus Walstein straight soprano has a surprisingly good sound. It tends to take people by surprise (not least because most people don't know what it is!). Having said that, it came with two necks - a straight one and a slightly curved one. The curved neck is rubbish, but the straight one works fine. Do you find the same with yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

I'll do a comparison of the BW Straight soprano necks tomorrow and report my findings. I mostly play my BW Curvie as I find curvies more comfortable, and have been playing the curved neck on my straight. I've not done a comparison so will see.

Kind regards
Tom

TomMapfumo

I'll do a comparison of the BW Straight soprano necks tomorrow and report my findings. I mostly play my BW Curvie as I find curvies more comfortable, and have been playing the curved neck on my straight. I've not done a comparison so will see.

Kind regards
Tom
I did a brief blow this morning (25 mins) and I agree that the straight neck is much better, soundwise! The curved neck had a much more diluted & slightly less clear sound, especially in the upper register, whereas the straight neck was much clearer, more powerful, and a joy after the curved. Case proven, and change instantly adopted! The curved neck is slightly more comfortable, but I can adapt quite readily.

You've obviously done your research on this one.
Kind regards
Tom

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom