support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Sheffield

DaveP

Locality
Dronfield, near Sheffield
Hello everyone, my names Dave and I'm from Dronfield near Sheffield. Been lurking on this site for a while and finally bought an alto sax two weeks ago - I wish I'd done it years ago (I'm the wrong side of fifty).Couldn't play anything for the first week as I managed to split a reed when fitting it but thought hey I'll only be playing for five minutes or so - big mistake, could hardly talk or eat for a week, please feel free to call me a thicko. Anyway I've learned a valuable lesson and won't be doing that again. I only had enough money for the sax and haven't bought a tutor book or had a lesson yet, just been playing scales and long tones with varying degrees of success.I think I'm going to get a book by John O'Neill which seems to get good reviews and also Pete's DVD. I can see already that playing sax is going to be a mixture of exhilaration and frustration in equal (or not so equal measure)
I've also found a jazz club in Sheffield with live bands for three quid a session - how good is that? If they throw in a free pie and pea supper I'm definitely going! No seriously I think live music in little venues like this, whatever the cost should be supported as much as possible and I'll be making every effort to attend, just wish I'd heard about it earlier- who knows perhaps one day they will even let me play. II like most types of music, listening to a lot of jazz at the moment - Miles Davis, Roland Kirk, Count Basie, Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, etc
Well I think I've waffled on long enough for now, and hope to make regular use of these forums especially the beginners forum, although I've found the answer to one question already - should I use a split reed? Er,no

Dave

Now then Dave and welcome from Ilkley Moor.
Have fun at the caff and when fixing your reed put the ligature loosely on the mouthpiece first and slide the reed in without touching the tip. Saves a lot of damaged lollysticks.
Andrew

Welcome Dave and thank you for reminding us of all the idiot things we have done and will continue to do.
Only one slight problem, you'll have to form the Midlands Massive to protect saxophonist's rights in your area.
Enjoy.

Hi Dave ... ¡hola! and welcome from sunny (actually not at the moment!) Spain. I see you're another IT person with a guitar. Me too, and quite a few others here. Sax, in my case, is proving rather more of a challenge, although I reckon I've at least progressed from 'totally confused' to 'proudly useless'!!!
Have fun here ...

G'day Dave, Welcome to the non side of lurking!
Going by your first post you'll fit in well here, although anybody with half a brain would, and there's quite a few half brainers in here.

I can say that without fear, because I live in NZ.
And also qualify in the half brainer category.

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. My mum was born and bred in Dronfield. It seems a great little place. I couldn't agree more about supporting local live venues.

Welcome Dave. We all break a few reeds when we start out. Also be careful fitting the mouthpiece cover as it's easy to break reeds with that as well. Grease the cork and fit the mouthpiece to the neck before fitting the neck to the sax. If you are going for lessons, find out which book your teacher uses.

I have a list of saxophone beginner books and the O'Neill book is considered to be a must buy. Remember to get the Eb version. There are cheaper books to get you started.

Have fun.

Jim.

Ow Doo from Brighotn (Yorkshireman in exile on south coast)

Hi Dave. Welcome from down Sarf Lunnun town. I am local to here, but my wife's father's family came form Sheffield and had houses in Dronfield and Fulwood.

Wish I had taken up music again years ago as well, but started seriously on alto two years ago at 58 and it's got addictive. I don't think there's a cure.
Colin

Only one slight problem, you'll have to form the Midlands Massive to protect saxophonist's rights in your area.
Enjoy.

Dear dear Bill
Sheffield is oop North not the Midlands. I have just sent out a phalanx of redundant steelworkers and miners to sort you out.
Andy

Dear dear Bill
Sheffield is oop North not the Midlands. I have just sent out a phalanx of redundant steelworkers and miners to sort you out.
Andy
Wrong!

The real North is, Northumberland, Westmorland, Cumberland and County Durham. From there to the north bank of the Thames is The Midlands except for Wales.

If it was the Jarrow Marchers again, I'd be worried but that bunch of pansies...................................

Gobsmacked !

Wrong!

The real North is, Northumberland, Westmorland, Cumberland and County Durham. From there to the north bank of the Thames is The Midlands except for Wales.

If it was the Jarrow Marchers again, I'd be worried but that bunch of pansies...................................

The effrontery of an Effete Southerner (nothing personal - it's a definition) pronouncing on whether or not Yorkshire and Lancashire are Northern. >:) It isn't just a matter of measuring the length of the country - we are northerners, no argument.

By the way, Cumberland and Westmorland haven't existed for quite a time now. If you want to go all historical and use the older boundaries, Lancashire's Furness region was north of some of Westmorland.

I'll just have to go and stop my whippets chasing the ferrets in the coal shed now.

Wrong!

Ooooh they'll scratch your eyes out!
I love it when you go all curmudgeonly.

Hi Dave
Some of us are the wrong side of 60 and just starting, you and I are near nieghbours welcome from Halifax
enjoy learning
Clive

Back
Top Bottom