Tutorials

Hello from Norfolk (UK)

robtheplod

Got my YAS-275 and been getting familiar over the last few weeks. Can now do some scales and find the which finger goes where! Trying to sort my first lesson so I don't get bad habbits etc but feel I've come to this later than most (I'm 41!). I always loved the sound of the Sax and played clarinet briefly at school but somehow never got round to it ... until now!!

MartinL

Got my YAS-275 and been getting familiar over the last few weeks. Can now do some scales and find the which finger goes where! Trying to sort my first lesson so I don't get bad habbits etc but feel I've come to this later than most (I'm 41!). I always loved the sound of the Sax and played clarinet briefly at school but somehow never got round to it ... until now!!
Hi Rob and welcome to the group,

Well I was 48 when I started, like you I've always loved the sound of the sax, OK I'll never be a "Coltrane" but I enjoy it, It's been about 4 years now and I play reasonably. Its for my own pleasure and I'm happy with the progress I'm making. Still learning, still progressing.
I'm sure you will get a hell of a lot out of your playing too. Great to have you on-board.

Last edited by a moderator:

losaavedra

Hi Rob, welcome to the Cafe from Spain. Just for info I got my first sax when I was a mere 64, quite a challenge after many years of guitar. I know Norfolk quite well by the way, played most Norfolk (and several Suffolk) venues with a rock band in the early 60s while trying to hold down a day job with L S & E near Carrow Road in Norwich. You wuz just a twinkle in someone's eye back then I guess!!! Have fun here ... great crowd!

JasonC

Hi Rob, I've just started as well. I'm not far behind you at 38 in Feb.

It is worth getting a teacher, I got one pretty much from the start to get me going and I will probably reduce the amount I have as I get a little better, I currently go once a week.

I've learnt 3 scales and there arpeggios nearly off by heart, plus a few simple tunes. I'm learning to read music from scratch as well which makes the learning curve a little slower but I' enjoying it a lot.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Rob, welcome to the Cafe, I think you'll find that your in a majority there! An awful lot of us started later on in life, not quite as late as OG, (he' as old as God's dog!) I started at 39 and like you I'd played a reed instrument at school, although mine was the Oboe. I gave up soon after I started unfortunately! I hope you enjoy yourself and find the Cafe useful.

OP
R

robtheplod

wow, thanks for all the lovely introductions and making me feel welcome!

I've just contacted a sax tutor, but my first question is .... how do I know if they are good or not? - odd I know, but are there things which I should look out for??

Also, I've got the excellent DVD by Pete Thomas, but there is one thing that's a bit annoying and thats my DVD player wont let me search back/forward on it - I can pause, but cant quickly go back if I miss something - does anyone else have this issue or is it my DVD player? I've sat through assembling a sax lots of times now just to see how to play a specific note! :D

rob

Last edited by a moderator:

teebones

Subscriber
wow, thanks for all the lovely introductions and making me feel welcome!

I've just contacted a sax tutor, but my first question is .... how do I know if they are good or not? - odd I know, but are there things which I should look out for??

Also, I've got the excellent DVD by Pete Thomas, but there is one thing that's a bit annoying and thats my DVD player wont let me search back/forward on it - I can pause, but cant quickly go back if I miss something - does anyone else have this issue or is it my DVD player? I've sat through assembling a sax lots of times now just to see how to play a specific note! :D

rob
Hi Rob, welcome to the cafe. :D
where are you based in good old Norfolk.
I am based in Norwich. ;}

OP
R

robtheplod

Had my first lesson on Monday with Chris. Interesting chap who blew my mind with his playing. Went though several things about how to go about learning etc and he seemed quite pleased I could get a note! Next week he's bringing his own style of music for me to start to learn.

Now learning the scales and finger positions etc and trying (with mixed success!) to speed up!

All in all I feel really positive about this and try to grab as much time as I can (usually about 20mins a day as I'm busy at the mo)......

Good Start!
rob

thehunt

Welcome, your not too old, i think us older generation actually will play better because we want to and it has not been forced on us. I too started two years ago at the age of 47. enjoy the forum, Phil

OP
R

robtheplod

Well, I lasted about 6 months and got disheartened... sold the sax to buy an ipad for my sons Birthday... BIG MISTAKE, back 7 years later at 48 and with a YAS-280 en-route I'm going to do it this time!!!!!!! I shall find a better tutor and practice practice practice........

Top Bottom