All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello from new member richgetz

richgetz

Hi everyone. I am a recently retired lawyer who is finally finding the time to practice. I have no musical background but I took up the tenor sax some years ago (bucket list) but lack of application, dedication, time and discipline has left me drifting in no man's land. I am kick starting my practising routine with a couple of hours each day and seeing where I get to.

i did have a year's worth of lessons when I first started but, looking back, I wish we had concentrated more on breathing, embouchure and intonation rather than learning to play tunes. I was "allowed" to play with too hard a reed and too wide tip opening and I have only just found the right combination that lets me concentrate on playing scales etc instead of struggling to produce an acceptable tone.

I am aware that it takes 10,000 hours to fully master an instrument and I don't have a life time ahead of me but I really enjoy following the path, and trying to learn has enhanced my enjoyment of listening to jazz and blues.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe Rich,if you are enjoying the sax journey that is all that matters.

Lots of help and advice here:)

Jx

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome Rich,

Quite a few of us have had 'false starts' (mine was with a teacher who had previously only taught children!). Hopefully you'll find plenty of support and advice here to keep you on track.

Cheers,

Amanda

BigMartin

I am aware that it takes 10,000 hours to fully master an instrument and I don't have a life time ahead of me
Try not to think about that. It's just an arbitrary number. Has anyone ever fully mastered the saxopone? Everyone's trying to get better at some aspect of their playing no matter how long they've been at it. Just concentrate on being better at some part of it today than you were yesterday and it will take you a long way.

Justin Chune

Hello Rich, welcome aboard. You are on the right track now. Do the work and finish off with some fun stuff. All work and no play etc.

Join a community band as soon as you are able.

Jim.

navarro

Hi everyone. I am a recently retired lawyer who is finally finding the time to practice
Hi Rich and welcome. Hope you practiced law before you retired.:D

Great place here and you joining has brought back memories of my aged but excellent solicitor.

He was never called to the bar except for the `Lamb` in Conduit Street. He never quite got the hang of decimal money and still liked billing me in guineas. Good advice here (music) and support. Regds In cafe vivit N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom