Tutorials

Hello from MK

Dave M

Hi All

I am new to the Saxophone world, I have just purchased my first Alto sax it was a Jupiter 567 which I am told is a good for beginners !.
It is for me and my daughter to both learn on. She will be having lesson though school in Sept. I have brought Pete DVD to get started with.
This is my very first instrument I have ever owened. Got it a couple of weeks ago now and have been trying to master the MP :)
Having a bit of trouble with air from the MP and getting a constant note each time. I expect it's all about practice......
As they say Rome was not built in a day:D

Buy the way this is a great site, lots of useful tip and discusions
Thank you.
Dave

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the BR Dave.
You will get more responses tonight and tomorrow, as quite a few of the regulars are giving poor Karen Sharpe hell at her workshop. ;} I'll probably get killed for that. :(

What type of music attracted you to Adolph's finest? Who would you like to emulate, assuming it's not illegal? :)

Just remember we all make progress at different rates, iust enjoy the ups and the few downs.:D

OP
D

Dave M

Thanks old git

Out of interest who is this Karen Sharpe !
The type of music i like on the sax is more towards Jazz i suppose, but basically with the rest of family all playing musical instruments I felt it was time for me to have a go and have always liked the sound of the sax it sounds cool to me :mrcool.

I am just enjoying getting notes out of it today and playing the scales for now. The hardest thing at present is getting a constant note.:sax:

Question :- How do you know when the reed needs changing ?
I have been using the same Vandoren 1.5 reed for the last couple of weeks.
The air noise I am getting some times when blowing, could this be the reed needs changing or more likely my mouth grip?

davhudson

Hello there.

Karen Sharp is a Sax teacher that lives in Leighton Buzzard. Today she held an improvisation course that a number of Breakfast club members attended - and a very good day it was too.

I also live in Milton Keynes - MK Village, Half-Diminished is another from this group living in Bletchley.

You will find the Breakfast group crowd a great group of individuals (beware of the the notorious "Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive", they can be somewhat obstuse at times>:) - also the Herts Biggish have a few questionable activities under their belt:w00t:)) but apart from that this is a safe haven for the Sax aficionado.

I have been playing for just over 18 months and am not that good, however I will try to help you if I can with anything Saxophone or Jazz. Drop me a pm if you would like to meet up at any point.

Membership to the MKaDM is not compulsory but may help fend off other Massive (and Biggish) fraternities

Last edited by a moderator:

losaavedra

¡Hola! and welcome to the BR from Spain (again!). Roger, above, is only about 5 KM down the road from me, but we're the only ones (I think) on the eastern side of the Iberian Peninsula. Regarding reeds ... they'll still work OK until they possibly split, or have chips out of them. Some of my relics are still usable although I've had them as long as I've had an alto. Have fun here ...

Young Col

Hi Dave and welcome. It'll all come right with lots of practice and perserverence and there's lots of help here.
I try to keep Old Git in order down here Sarf of Lunnun but I can't be held responsible. I too was at the Karen Sharp workshop yesterday but of course was on my best behaviour while on the MK crowd's patch.

Gosh Lori, is that you going over Niagara?:shocked:

Colin

Rogerb

Oh, yes, heard The Fenny Stompers many times, mainly at The Three Locks, and was talking to them on the 'bandstand' in Bletchley when I was there in June.
I know Tad Newton's Jazz Friends even better as Tad used to teach my daughters and is a friend. Joe Crane (sp?) who plays trumpet for the FS used-to be in Tad's excellent band.

davhudson

Oh, yes, heard The Fenny Stompers many times, mainly at The Three Locks, and was talking to them on the 'bandstand' in Bletchley when I was there in June.
I know Tad Newton's Jazz Friends even better as Tad used to teach my daughters and is a friend. Joe Crane (sp?) who plays trumpet for the FS used-to be in Tad's excellent band.
Dennis was my teacher for a while - he's a friend of mine. I have played twice with them on the bandstand - although with my nerves I am not sure how I managed it!

I'll be seeing Dennis next week - I'll remember you to him.

Ben Cain

Hi Dave

I too was having the same issue regarding escaping air from the mpc. Ihave been playing with a teacher now for 4 months and yesterday he finally said I was developing a "sound" I think that was meant to be a compliment and I must say it was ok to me too. I have just moved from a rousseau 3R tenor mpc to a link NY6* an dnow using alexander reeds, which are great.
Keep playing but not when you notice your lip sore or aching jaw cos that only makes the sound worse.
Keep playing and I am off to play now.
Ben

OP
D

Dave M

Hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome. Sounds like Karen Sharp's workshop was a good day.
I look forward to future chats.

Justin Chune

hi Dave, and a warm welcome. Your reed is probably still OK. A simple way to check is to compare your pet reed with a fresh one. If the fresh one is miles better then it's time for a change. Have fun.

Jim.

Top Bottom