Tutorials

Hello from Maine (US)

waynek

Hi all,

At 52 years old, I decided to dust off that old alto sax from high school days and see if I could still play. After a 34 year break, it was interesting what aspects of playing were still there and what was not. The horn felt like I just put it down yesterday, the fingers knew where to go. My embouchure was still mostly there, so bends and other subtleties were still mostly ok. What was completely gone however, was all of the keys and related disciplines for playing anything other than a chromatic scale.

So now after 6 months of effort I have some of the scales again, and am now working to fill in the others. It is a slow process, partially because I don't seem to practice as much as I should.... and partially because I don't seem to learn as quickly as when I was in my teens.

A good friend has a recording studio and had been pestering me to get the sax out. Now every friday night is spent at the studio trying to lay down some sax tracks on the songs he has written. I am really enjoying this, but wish that I still had all of the skills that were build up as a child. But, progress is being made and will hopefully continue.

My alto sax is a 1924 Beuscher (made in the US), which my mother purchased for me (in 1972) at an estate auction for $20! I also picked up a new Yamaha YTS-62II tenor, which is my preference currently. I still have a clarinet too, and it gets a little action, but mostly I am focusing on the tenor.

Thanks to Pete Thomas for the web site and Taming the Sax book, which I just ordered. Looks like a great resource to help me recover some of that lost skill.

A glance at some of the discussions on this forum look like they will be very helpful in my quest to play the sax better, and I look forward to some good reading here!

Cheers,
Wayne

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Welcome Wayne!

You will definitely find Mr. Thomas' book "Taming the Sax" book beneficial. Is your alto a True Tone?

Glad you're here neighbor ;)

OP
W

waynek

Thank you for the welcome everyone!

Yes Luluna, my old alto is a True Tone, made in Elkhart, Indiana. For an 86 year old horn, it's in very nice shape. The lacquer is still solid and there is not much wear, only a small spot at the right thumb. I'm the second owner and the first apparently didn't use it a whole lot. I probably put only 3 or 4 years of playing on it back in grade school. I remember my music teacher Mr. Rabassa seemed very pleased about it when I first showed it to him.

It seems to blow very easily and sounds great.... but I haven't played any other altos so I really don't know how it compares.

Wayne

TomMapfumo

Greetings to the Maine Man!:mrcool

Sounds like your sax has managed to lead a sheltered life - obviously not owned by John Coltrane, then.
Hope you have a great time in the Cafe!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

visionari1

Hello Wayne, welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn and hang out. Sounds like you have a good old horn there.
$20 bucks eh........don't get em like that these days.

I've also got an elkhart sax, but it's a naked lady Conn and have even played it in Elkhart too!

Cheers from NZ
Cheers
Jimu

OP
W

waynek

Hi Wayne: As Luluna said glad to have a new neighbor! just think only 2,000 miles or so away:))):)))

Richard
:mrcool:mrcool
Richard,

Seems to me like just a mouse click away ;-) The online world makes those miles evaporate...

This cafe is a great place to visit, glad I stumbled upon it. Talking to all you sax players motivates me to go practice more!! Thanks!!!

Wayne

Top Bottom