Hello from Japan everyone!

Hi all. My name is Justin, an American living in Japan currently. I started playing alto sax in my elementary school band and continued to play through high school and my short stay at college. In high school, I picked up the Bari sax and continued to play alto in the jazz band. Now, this was over two decades ago, but it sparked a lifelong obsession with the saxophone. After dropping out of college and joining the military, I did not end up continuing to play regularly. I have played off and on (probably more off then on) over the last 20 years, but am currently saxophoneless as I regrettably left my alto in storage as I came to Japan in 2012. So, maybe it's a midlife crisis or I just want to re-live my "glory days", I have been looking at getting another sax and continuing this journey because I feel like it's something that I need to do. The alto sounds great, but I've always had an obsession with the tenor but only had the opportunity to play one a few times. So I've been looking around Japan at the various music stores and second-hand stores for a tenor sax. I hope to find one soon. Probably a Yanigasawa because with the yen rate at 113 to the dollar, I'll more than likely save a few hundred on it buying it in Japan. Anyway, nice to meet you all!

QWales

Welcome to the cafe brewdawg77, like Jeanette says, your in a great place if your looking to buy a sax. It'd be interesting to know what you end up buying and how much it costs you.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café.
I guess there should be a good supply of second-hand Japanese tenor saxes for you in Japan.
With any luck you will be able to make us all envious by telling us how little you paid.

saxyjt

Hi Justin and welcome to the café, from so far away!

As it happens, my wife's going to Japan next week with some friends. She's really excited.

ESJohn

Hi Justin
Your story and mine are similar except I never served in the military. (Thank you for your service!) Just curious--it sounds as though you still have the sax that you played in your school days? Which one did you play? Did you find a good buy in Japan yet? Good to have you aboard.
My son spent 10 days in Tokyo, loved it!

Top Bottom