Hello from Hampshire

NewSax

Hi All
I have just got my first saxophone.So far I have had one lesson. I'm struggling to get a consistent sound but I am sure that will come with practice. At the moment, reading the note ,remembering which key to press, keeping the tempo and making a consistant tone is a bit tough. I have no musical background so this is a huge learning curve. Having said all that, I love it. I really want to do it properly whatever that may be.

Saxlicker

Welcome to the Cafe.
Your situation is enviable.....seriously!!
You have so much ahead of you, so many boxes to tick.
Remember its not a race and somethings will be harder than others to learn (but all the more satisfying for it) so enjoy every bit of it. The fluffed notes, the sore lips, the backward step, the leaps forward and then reflect on how far you have come....enjoy it all.

I was once in your exact situation.

OP
N

NewSax

Thanks. It's getting better very slowly but I'm loving it. I'm sure it will continue to get better. I remember the first time I drove a car. trying to co-ordinate everything was a nightmare. This reminds me of that .
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome, it can feel like one step forward, two back at times, you'll struggle with something for ages then it falls into place

Just keep going :)

Jx

OP
N

NewSax

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jeanette, I am really enjoying the learning curve, It's just a bit steep :)

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café.

You have a saxophone, a teacher, and motivation. The rest will come in time.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe. Your driving analogy is a good one. I felt the same way. So many things to do at the same time. It can feel overwhelming. Just stick to your practice. It will all become second nature in time. And above all else, have fun!

Dingding

Hi
As your teacher to check your saxophone for leaks.
A sax not sealing properly will be more difficult to play.

All the best

Nasima

OP
N

NewSax

The Sax is great. All checked by Sax.co.uk. It’s not the sax it is better than me. I’m having fun. There are so many things to learn all at once. So cool though.

OP
N

NewSax

A bit of a set back with a mouth ulcer, but back on track now and loving every minute of improving just slightly each time I have a go.

benscience

Hi All
I have just got my first saxophone. So far I have had one lesson. I'm struggling to get a consistent sound but I am sure that will come with practice. At the moment, reading the note, remembering which key to press, keeping the tempo and making a consistent tone is a bit tough. I have no musical background so this is a huge learning curve. Having said all that, I love it. I really want to do it properly whatever that may be.
HI
Great to read your story of self-discovery of music making. Well done and thoroughly enjoy your sax journey.
Ben

Top Bottom