Hello from Dartford/Kent

SignorTenor

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at this forum and Pete's pages for a long time and it's about time I joined.

I've been playing mostly on my own for over twenty years with a fourteen year pause in between!

Last year I picked up again my very tired Super Action series II alto and reminded myself how much work I need to do and how much I love playing.

My love was always the tenor (I started on a Grassi and owned a Selmer series II for a while) and on Xmas eve I was unwrapping a gorgeous Walstein courtesy of my lovely (foolish) girlfriend. This was a very unexpected present and possibly the best present since my Casiotone keyboard thirty years ago!!!

Yesterday was another great day: my first pilgrimage to sax.co.uk headquarters to buy myself a new mouthpiece and bits for the tenor. That place is quite something and even having visited the branch in London, it was still very very impressive.

I was made a coffee and given access to anything I fancied to try. They even made a slight adjustment to the lower register on the Walstein in the workshop. I finally opted for a Jody Jazz Classic. It looks gorgeous, comes with BG ligature, spolier and lovely bag and it plays great!

I would really like take my practise more seriously but I ultimately would love to find someone to play with and hope to get in contact with other players in the area through the forum.

So, thank in advance guys and Happy New Year to all of you

Andrea

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Andrea and welcome to the Cafe, its a great place to be, sort of a virtual Sax.co, only without all the bits a pieces and every sax is owened by other people....so, um, not like Sax.co at all then.

Am I loseing the plot already? :(
Happy new year.

Phil Edwards

Hi Andrea welcome to the cafe from someone fortunate to live only a few miles from sax.co.uk (not sure my wife thinks it's quite so forunate - damn tempting more like)

JJ Classic is a superb mpc, I've got one - very versatile pieces.

regards, Phil

Young Col

Woody
Well it has its compensations. Dartford one side, Kent downland the other. And last time I was stopped long enough to listen to the whole of Dexter Gordon's Ballads and quite a bit of Clifford Brown/Sonny Rollins.

To be fair it's not that bad.I don't do proper commuting any more and if I do go to central London after peak time, its free for me now. It's only the occasional journey by car to Hatfield, Herts, in the evening rush hour where I have to take pot luck.
Colin

OP
S

SignorTenor

Thank you very much guys

I tell you what the best thing is about Dartford: my neighbours!!
I've been playing all day long and not a peep, you gotta love 'em. I've just nailed The Sidewinder and it's brilliant but my right thumb is raw. Ouch! Gonna give it a rest and go back to it in a while to check my muscle memory!!! By the way the Walstein and Jody Jazz combo is sounding superb.
In the meantime I'm getting myself a pitch pipe off Ebay to go with my Aebersold ear training cds... i just wish my commuting was longer!

Andrea

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Greetings from Brighton! I believe we've met- you were the guy who was working toward a Stanley Turrentine sound..? You'll not recognize me from the picture but I was providing your mouthpieces!

OP
S

SignorTenor

Greetings from Brighton! I believe we've met- you were the guy who was working toward a Stanley Turrentine sound..? You'll not recognize me from the picture but I was providing your mouthpieces!
Well I do recognise you now!
Nice to 'see' you again and thanks a lot for suggesting the JJ Classic. I'm loving it.
Andrea.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe ~ I wish my husband would get foolish and surprise me with a new sax! How wonderful :w00t:

Glad you're here :)

Ben Cain

hi

Hi,
Welcome to the cafe. it is a very warm cosy place to be with your new tenor sax. Wish my wife had surprise me with a new alto this year but she did get me the new Haynes manual.
I am just across the river from you in Upminster, a small world.
Ben

Top Bottom