All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hello From Boston Lincs

Bostonspike

Locality
Boston Lincolnshire
Just bought myself a TJ Classic II Alto Sax this week.

Total beginner not just to the sax but to music. Ive been trying to learn music over the last 6-8 weeks before i jumped in, and also the sax fingerings prior to buying it.

Managed to get Strawberry Fayre out which is easy im sure and slow, now looking to learn some better technique and what some of these other keys are on the sides.

Starting a bit late at 48, but wanted the challenge.

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Welcome and have fun! Playing raises the enjoyment of listening to music to a higher level. It's never too late to start.

GrumpyJim

Locality
Rugby
Welcome to the club, 48 is a mere stripling, at 62 I've only been murdering songs for 2 years, before lock-down used to go to local jazz sessions that had a period when anyone who wanted to could get and jam with the pros, there was a few venerable saxophonists, included one fantastic player who was in his early 80's, never was brave enough to give it a go myself but it's on my bucket list for sure

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome to the café and to sax, have fun here :)

Jx

OP
B

Bostonspike

Locality
Boston Lincolnshire
Thank you all

I have a question for you, three weeks in and im finding im getting worse :)

Im getting a lot of vibration noise, mine came with a 1.5 reed and a spare 1.5

Ive tried them both, incase it was that, and it could well be my embrouchure, but its annoying to say the least, i was able to play a song quite ok in the first week and cant get through it at the minute without note issues.

dont get me wrong its only strawberry fayre, but annoying to say the least.

i have managed to sort out a few others as well now, but as i say it temporarily is getting worse

so my question is, is it i need to move up a reed, do i need to concentrate more on the embrouchure?

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
@Bostonspike ; welcome Sir !
Plenty of time to address your reed problems..1.5 is about as soft as they come but we would really need to know what mouthpice you are using .
Enjoy yourself
Ade

OP
B

Bostonspike

Locality
Boston Lincolnshire
Thanks for the reply

Its the one that came with the Trevor James Classic II

The last 2 nights ive got on better, ive put the reed into a glass of water instead of just into my mouth and i seem to have got through the issue. Im sure its a mixture of inexperience and embouchure.

David Dorning

Subscriber
Locality
Chichester, UK
Thank you all

I have a question for you, three weeks in and im finding im getting worse :)

Im getting a lot of vibration noise, mine came with a 1.5 reed and a spare 1.5

Ive tried them both, incase it was that, and it could well be my embrouchure, but its annoying to say the least, i was able to play a song quite ok in the first week and cant get through it at the minute without note issues.

dont get me wrong its only strawberry fayre, but annoying to say the least.

i have managed to sort out a few others as well now, but as i say it temporarily is getting worse

so my question is, is it i need to move up a reed, do i need to concentrate more on the embrouchure?
If it’s vibration you might have a loose lyre screw. There are two screws at the top of the body, one is to secure the neck, and the other is there to hold a small music stand. It hardly ever gets used and if it comes loose it can vibrate. Worth checking the simple things.

Justin Chune

Locality
The Athens of The North
Welcome to the cafe. Your sax should not get harder to play. Be meticulous when setting the reed, with no gaps around the sides, or tip. Check it again after the final tightening. Enjoy the sax.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Locality
Canada
Greetings Bostonspike.
It’s never too late to learn
48 - a mere pup
Practice, practice, practice and ask lots of questions but most of all, have fun!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6