SYOS

Hello from Bolton

grimey121uk

hi im natalie from bolton near manchester
i have joined the forum for the advise and guidance which i can say is very good
i have been playing for about 12 years now and own a yamaha alto saxophone yas 62 which i have put in a pro tec gig bag and recently bought a dm sharkbite mouthpiece as i love the sound these mouthpieces produce and the fact they match the saxophone in colour.
but i am in a predicament as me and my partner are looking at getting a house and i am unsure whether to sell the sax
any advise would be helpful
thnx

Emma

Hello Natalie,

Welcome to the forum.
Why would you want to sell the sax? If you need the money - you might get around a thousand pounds for the sax but you will not get much for the house for that money and once it's gone, will you be able to find another £1k for another sax? If you get a cheaper sax it might annoy you as it probably will not be the same as playing a pro horn like the YAS 62.

regards
Emma

OP
G

grimey121uk

i know what you are saying but a house will be a big investment, i know i will never get 1k together for another saxophone but i haven't used the one i have got for the last 8 months, i teach private but only clarinet at the moment and then again a beginner saxophone will be sufficient enough

TomMapfumo

Hi Natalie!

At best yo could sell the YAS62 for about £1000 and could buy a Bauhaus Walstein Alto for about £350+ - profit of £650 if you wish to continue with a good enough sax. Only you know the financial situation and whether it's worth it/necessary. Hope things work out for you and your partner.:w00t:

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

h4yn0nnym0u5e

... and i am unsure whether to sell the sax
any advise would be helpful
thnx
Assuming this means you have the option not to sell the sax, I'd say don't do it! You'll always regret it, and as others have mentioned, what you'll get for it is only a drop in the house-purchase ocean. Plus, having not sold it, you'll probably start playing it again to justify having kept it - major win... Plus plus, if really desperate you can still sell it later, quite likely for more then you'd get right now, as sax prices currently seem to be rising.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Good luck

Jonathan

OP
G

grimey121uk

Hi Natalie!

At best yo could sell the YAS62 for about £1000 and could buy a Bauhaus Walstein Alto for about £350+ - profit of £650 if you wish to continue with a good enough sax. Only you know the financial situation and whether it's worth it/necessary. Hope things work out for you and your partner.:w00t:

Kind regards
thanks for the advise
what kind of saxophone is the bauhaus (ie beginner intermediate, pro)

OP
G

grimey121uk

if i was to sell the saxophone i would be interested in buying a cheaper model but saying this and having not played for about 8 months now i havent the time as i am working alot, i only teach on the sideline and this has become less and less as alot of children nowadays are not interested in instruments but in games consoles or out with friends.

Rikki

Hi Natalie,

I sold a Selmer SA80 Tenor years ago when I got married for similar reasons, was a big mistake and didnt play tenor again untill recently, as TomMapFumo rightly says we do not know your financial circumstances, but think very hard before you sell it.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff, G.

Always knew Benny Hill had got it wrong but you are much too young to remember his spoof calypso that went,
"All my life I wanted to dress nattily
Natalie lives in the flat upstairs."

After that, you wouldn't want my advice anyway but keep the Yammie, tell the Council you are sixty and they have a legal obligation to house you. Even at present prices selling it might get you slightly better quality door handles. Also remember a doubling musician is more in demand than a singleton, unless you are a star.

ENJOY!

TomMapfumo

thanks for the advise
what kind of saxophone is the bauhaus (ie beginner intermediate, pro)

Hi Natalie!

If Pete Thomas was awake by now he would say that the BW sax was Pro quality at student prices. Many of the Forum members have a BW sax - but more often Tenors/Sopranos - I have a BW curved soprano and it is a close copy of the Yanagisawa version, but over £1000 cheaper, and is excellent.
I would say that the BW Alto is one of the best under £1000 and would be a good alternative, if money was tight.

www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk have the cheapest price online of the BW alto at time of going to press.
Kind regards

compound

Hi Natalie,
Regarding the Bauhaus Walstein being a beginer/ intermediate/ pro instrument, they sell them as student / intermediate instrument's. For me they are every bit as good as the pro instrument's i've had in the past. I've got the Phospher Bronze model tenor, with a Sharkbite gold plated no 7, wicked sound.Go on Stephen Howard's Web site, he does an in depth investigation on them, you will be pleasantly suprised, hope this helps.
Rob.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Natalie

Like every body else we don't know your financial circumstance,but my thoughts are that decisions made in desperation are usually not the best we make.
I am looking at this from the point that you are trying to accrue a deposit to purchase your first house and get your foot on the housing ladder and in this regard I do not envy your situation,and with houses at the bottom of there price range and mortgage interest low it's got to be a good time to try,my thoughts are that if this sale means that you will definitely have all the funds you need then go for it,but if it still leaves you requiring more that you may not be able to get then why bother.

I hope this helps you in your decision and good luck to you both..john

Little My

Practice makes better.
I see that your sax is up for sale, but thought I'd wade in anyway with my experience, just in case you are still thinking it over.

I've just restarted playing after a 4 year break. I have a yas62 (like yours but older and scruffier) and a spotless Keilwerth SX90r tenor. I was going to sell the tenor, then realised that the market is so poor at the moment I really might as well wait. Are there other things you could sell on ebay first? I still think that if I find a tenor I love for £600 then the Keilwerth may yet go to release some money, but I don't want to sell it and then be without a tenor. I think also that once you've sold a sax, it is difficult to find the justification to spend a substantial amount of money on another one later down the line.

Anyway, all the best with your house purchase.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Don't sell the sax. Pimp your other half, go busking, join a band...sell your kidney.... sell your other halves kidney, just not the sax!

Oh, and welcome to the cafe.

OP
G

grimey121uk

thanx for all the comments but the saxophone has been put up for sale my decision has been made it would help a great deal to the funds we have already saved up and could be the decider on a couple of houses we have seen

Top Bottom