support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello fellow saxophiles!

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

TenorVibes

Locality
England, UK.
Hi all

Been looking for an amicable bunch on the interwebs to learn, share and explore with. Not a big social media fan. Way too much toxicity. Been lurking here on the forums and you all seem like a good bunch.

On the saxophone front, I've had a Tenor Saxophone since my late teens in the mid 1990's. A 'Rosehill' Czechoslovakian make (back when it was one country). Got inspired to get one after being mesmerised by the mellow sounds of Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Billie Holiday, etc., An old couple used to live across the road who would regularly play their vinyl collections of the greats from 1930 - 40's. Always used to grab an earful of this wonderful music when I arrived from work late in the evenings. It was my first job and the Tenor Saxophone was the first big budget thing I ever bought, so, I guess it had some sentimental value too.

Saxophone tutors were few and far between and lessons were expensive in my area at the time. Saved up for about 3 lessons and decided to go it alone for the rest of the journey. That was a mistake. Picked up a lot of bad habits. The tutor had taught me to wrap my lower lips completely over my lower teeth. I ended up ruining my embouchure and damaging my lower mouth (the constant biting to get those sounds). I'm sure that if I had continued with further lessons the tutor would have corrected my embouchure. The inevitable happened. It got buried in it's purple velvety grave and remained there to gather dust. Every often or so, I'd wake it up from it's long slumber and dream another dream of a musical breakthrough. A sobering squeak, with an occasional home run and a painful embouchure would result in another long sleep for this lacquered golden beautify ... sigh.

Kind of struggled for some years and lapsed in and out of periods of inspiration and doubt. Progress was painfully slow. The Covid period allowed for more time and I've started to make noticeable progress. Found that I learnt better by devising my own training rather then relying on a tutor. Things seem to sink in better when I use my own initiate to figure out stuff. Glad I hung in there though. The journey has just begun. Long ways to go. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Great to have you here, onwards and upwards.

Jx

Doubt and waiting for inspiration are the enemies of progress, keep on the way you are and enjoy the journey that has no end. Welcome.

Doubt and waiting for inspiration are the enemies of progress, keep on the way you are and enjoy the journey that has no end. Welcome.
'enjoy the journey that has no end.'

Yes indeed. Loving every moment of it. I'll be saxing even when I have one foot in the grave. The zimmer frame will have a duel function (hip and sax stand support). This style of playing will be called Zimmer Frame Funk (playing the sax while tapping the frame legs with my knees for percussive effects).

Hi all

Been looking for an amicable bunch on the interwebs to learn, share and explore with. Not a big social media fan. Way too much toxicity. Been lurking here on the forums and you all seem like a good bunch.

On the saxophone front, I've had a Tenor Saxophone since my late teens in the mid 1990's. A 'Rosehill' Czechoslovakian make (back when it was one country). Got inspired to get one after being mesmerised by the mellow sounds of Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Billie Holiday, etc., An old couple used to live across the road who would regularly play their vinyl collections of the greats from 1930 - 40's. Always used to grab an earful of this wonderful music when I arrived from work late in the evenings. It was my first job and the Tenor Saxophone was the first big budget thing I ever bought, so, I guess it had some sentimental value too.

Saxophone tutors were few and far between and lessons were expensive in my area at the time. Saved up for about 3 lessons and decided to go it alone for the rest of the journey. That was a mistake. Picked up a lot of bad habits. The tutor had taught me to wrap my lower lips completely over my lower teeth. I ended up ruining my embouchure and damaging my lower mouth (the constant biting to get those sounds). I'm sure that if I had continued with further lessons the tutor would have corrected my embouchure. The inevitable happened. It got buried in it's purple velvety grave and remained there to gather dust. Every often or so, I'd wake it up from it's long slumber and dream another dream of a musical breakthrough. A sobering squeak, with an occasional home run and a painful embouchure would result in another long sleep for this lacquered golden beautify ... sigh.

Kind of struggled for some years and lapsed in and out of periods of inspiration and doubt. Progress was painfully slow. The Covid period allowed for more time and I've started to make noticeable progress. Found that I learnt better by devising my own training rather then relying on a tutor. Things seem to sink in better when I use my own initiate to figure out stuff. Glad I hung in there though. The journey has just begun. Long ways to go. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Welcome to the madness. You’re in good company.

Back
Top Bottom