All profit supporting   special needs music

Hello - Another new player

M

Mac3

Hi again,

I've put in a lot of thought into what has been said - one thing I hadn't thought of was the neighbours, but I guess that shouldn't put me off - I'll just try to be considerate.

Anyway, I've settled on the Jericho Tenor. I was going to ask them to ask Steve Howard to set it up for me as some people have recommended elsewhere on these forums.

Furthermore, I'm thinking of going for a Yamaha 5C MP with some 1.5 and 2 reeds to begin with. The sound I really like is Blues/Rock. Hopefully this will be a good steady beginners set-up which will allow me to learn to play music I enjoy listening to.

I was looking at getting a beginners DVD, the Pete Thomas beginners DVD looked quite good but I think its aimed at the Alto. Does anyone know of one aimed at the Tenor?

Thanks for any further advice!

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Great, I'm sure you will have lots of questions once you get it so don't be shy about posting them :)

Jx

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Good luck.

No need to worry about alto/tenor for Pete's CD - the tenor just sounds lower, but the rest is no different.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Hello and welcome.

G4M are the best of the economy range. They are what they are, which is fully functional and playable instruments, capable of fulfilling the needs of beginner or player and good enough to gig. They are Yani copies and if you don't like it, you can send it back. They still have a no quibble returns policy as far as I am aware. I have their alto tenor and sop.

Don't forget to budget for a decent mouthpiece and the regular outlay for reeds and servicing.

I wouldn't consider the saxophone a pick up and play instrument. If you don't play every day your sound will suffer. It's also a loud instrument designed for playing outside, so your neighbours will know all about your progress or lack of it.

It's a fragile instrument. Any rough or mishandling will result in a trip to the tech which needs to be included in your budget.

The saxophone is the most versatile, frustrating, rewarding, annoying and addictive instrument I know of. Full of idiosyncrasies and mystique. The tenor is the coolest looking but can sound bovine and that's not remotely cool. The only way to sound as cool as you'll look is to practice often.

Enjoy.
Good idea to get Steve Howard to set it up. You should also buy Steve's sax manual - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6ssxmd2k76_b

Invaluable

Jay

Jay

Locality
Northumberland
Good luck.

No need to worry about alto/tenor for Pete's CD - the tenor just sounds lower, but the rest is no different.
Well except when you play along, you're a 4th out. I just did anyway :eek:

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Well except when you play along, you're a 4th out. I just did anyway :eek:
Sorry, didn't realise it had a play along, but it's a long time since I looked at it.

Semolina Pilchard

Semolina Pilchard

Locality
Liverpool
The Steve Howard Haynes guide is a real eye opener in as much it explains mechanically how to make the squeeks and parps. Very informative and as some one who is new to Sax, hence the noises, a great reference book. I have absolutely no plans on doing my own jiggery-pokery with my sax, but this book contains enough cleaning and care tips for the mechanically inept to look after their investment. I was actually an aircraft engineer for many years, but the intricacies of a sax are way beyond anything invented by Frank Whittle. I could probably take one apart, but what you get back might not resemble a sax!:(

M

Mac3

Hi guys,

There is a Hanson tenor ST5 on eBay going for £205. It finishes in 1 hour. I was going to buy a Jericho but this seems good value. Anyone any advice re: hanson.

Thanks!

trimmy

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Go for it !! They are very good horns

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I bet the price shot up in the last 10 mins. Did you get it?

M

Mac3

No :( I was at work so couldn't really watch it very closely and got sniped in the last minute. I didn't know too much about the Hanson when I first made my initial bid - wish I'd put down a higher amount now. I was leading it up until very late.

I don't really use eBay very often.

Well, thank you for your kind and prompt advice - i tried... may be next time!

saxendd

saxendd

Locality
United Kingdom
What a great bunch you are! Thanks for being.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom