All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Hello all sax members

goldfish

Hello everyone,
Been practicing and trying to play my Alto yam.for approx 2 years,I was having tuition for a while about every 3to4weeks but I think my tutor has done a runner. I did'nt think I was that bad lol!!! all jokes aside I bought pete's book but looking at it there's lots I hav'nt touched and it seems I have'nt a tutor to move me on.
I live in south wales,if there's someone out there that could give some tuition just now and then to keep me going would like to hear from you.
I'm 60 this year and I maybe slow to learn but I do stick at it and practice for 1hour everyday,I could'nt read any music when I first started and never played an instrument.

neal

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Goldfish.

Just remember "The Music goes round and round" but beware of YC. He collects Koi.

ENJOY!™

BUMNOTE

Hi goldfish,welcome to the caff,i think Tom when he has a look on here may be able to help you out with a new tutor,other than that keep on practicing.Bumnote.

QWales

Hi Goldfish, are you in or near Cardiff, I can recommend a few classes and tutors to keep you busy? Regards, Mark

TomMapfumo

Hi Goldfish!

I'm Tom from Skabertawe (Swansea) and very happy to help with any advice about teachers etc. and happy to meet up if you
are not that far away. I play Alto Sax, never played an Alto Yam - thought they were used just in cooking and didn't realise that
you could play/tune them. ;} I've previously gone to Cardiff for music teachers, and QWales probably knows what is available in that neck of the woods. PM me if I can be of any help.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

navarro

Hi Neal, welcome to the cafe . Did you know that the Rodgers and Hammerstien "The hills are alive with the sound of music." is a direct result of the co-writers having a bus trip to Wales in 1957.

The bus stopped in Llanvihangel Crucorney and the boys decided to have a drink in the Skirrid Mountain Inn.

While there they heard the local choir singing "We`ll keep a welcome in the Hillside" in Welsh of course.

Being Americans they thought that the choir were singing in German and Rodg. said to Hammy. "What a great song lets do a musical based on it."

So the seeds of the musical about the Von Trapp family were spawned.

Now I know this is true, because in 1970 I was on the X4 bus service from Cardiff to Abergavenny and I got talking to a very nice lady who was a baritone sax player going for an audition with the Stan Kenton big band, and she told me the story in Welsh, which the bus conductor translated for me. Do you think I lost something in translation? >:) Best Regards N.

goldfish

Hi Tom, I'm in the rhondda vally just over the mountain in a place called Tynewydd. Would be nice to meet up and have a good chat,not sure where skabertawe is but you could give me a ring and arrange to meet up somewhere,perhaps over a pint.If you want to give me a ring whenever on 01443775496 would love to have a good chat in person as there's so much I would like to ask. I'm not able to work so at home all day most days feel free to ring day or night.

Regards Neal

TomMapfumo

Hi Neal!

Skabertawe = Swansea! I'll give you a ring in the next couple of days. My sax tech - Dick Hamer - lives in Ystrad Mynach just outside Pontypridd. We'll definitely fix something up shortly.

Speak soon,
Tom

md90065

Hello how are you i am new to this forum also but the best advice i haves is to start by looking at your setup your horn your mouth piece your reed it can be fustrating having something in your setup that makes it harder to play? other then that practice is a great tool for me i also learned alot playing with players that where beter or more advanced then me..i find alot of answers talking to them ... of course having a good teacher is a major plus

hope that helps a bit..

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Neal, welcome to the cafe. It's a lovely part of the world you share with Tom and Qwales (and I'm sure some others)
If you fancy getting some face to face help, why not add your name to the "Helping hands" thread. It's fairly self explanatory.
Have fun with that horn of yours.

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Neal and a big welcome from me :)

Your story is very similar to mine, never EVER played any instrument before i got my alto, and loving it :)

Top Bottom