support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Helli everyone not much of a sax player but i had been given o e as a gift. Not to sure much about it. It h

Welcome to the café and to sax

Jx

Welcome.

Have you had your saxophone checked over and serviced?
If any of the pads leak then it will be much harder to play.

;) .......sorry .......I couldn't help myself. All in jest.

Welcome to the Cafe.

Is it an Alto or Tenor ?

Post a photo !!!!

I was given an older martin as a gift. Sure it takes alot of work to learn but we will see.
You landed on the right island! I'm sure we'd love to see a photo of the sax and hear about your progress, too. That's what we're about here.

HEy everyone I'm not much of a sax player but I was given an older martin as a gift. Sure it takes alot of work to learn but we will see.

welcome to the cafe :). Do please post a pic if you can

image-2019-12-01-13-32-49.jpg
image-2019-12-01-13-32-45.jpg

Martin RMC-era (early-mid '60's) Indiana ! Good horns ! One of my best selling models, actually.

Certainly not much of a looker but if, as you say, the tech has serviced her and gotten her playing, these are pretty classic vintage horns. (if you have concerns about aesthetics, you could have the body chem bathed and those dents on the bow are not very difficult for a tech to remove or at least improve).

So what's next @Sixtylersix ??? Have you found a teacher/tutor ?

Cool beans! Have you played any instrument beforehand? I've played Nb many times, on my sax it sounds like "squeak squak!"

Martin RMC-era (early-mid '60's) Indiana ! Good horns ! One of my best selling models, actually.

Certainly not much of a looker but if, as you say, the tech has serviced her and gotten her playing, these are pretty classic vintage horns. (if you have concerns about aesthetics, you could have the body chem bathed and those dents on the bow are not very difficult for a tech to remove or at least improve).

So what's next @Sixtylersix ??? Have you found a teacher/tutor ?
Did you match the serial numbers they sa it's a 1927 I believe. Dont know its hard to I'd this one best guess I got is 1927 trabador look into it.
But no teacher yet just busy anymore.
Almost positive it's not 60s though same print as 60s horns which makes me think it's print that old would be significant. Get back to me and I appreciate your reply.

After some very fast research, I think that JayeNM is correct. This link might help you as that serial number falls within the 1961 manufacture date. www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/martinlist.html.

Did you match the serial numbers they sa it's a 1927 I believe. Dont know its hard to I'd this one best guess I got is 1927 trabador look into it.
But no teacher yet just busy anymore.
Almost positive it's not 60s though same print as 60s horns which makes me think it's print that old would be significant. Get back to me and I appreciate your reply.
After some very fast research, I think that JayeNM is correct. This link might help you as that serial number falls within the 1961 manufacture date. www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/martinlist.html.
The trick is with Indiana models, they have a different serial # sequence than other Martin models. Horn-u-copia is a pretty good resource, and '61 is a good guess because that is when Paul Richards purchased Martin and the horns started having the RMC emblem on 'em.

This site says it'd be pre-'62,

but I believe he has it wrong...because he claims that Indianas stopped being made in '62.....but for this to be true, then RMC would have kept producing 'em for only a single year.... and I believe they were made for a few years under RMC however (because some had the wire keyguards and some have the cool sheet metal keyguards, and I doubt greatly both details appeared on an horn model made only for one year under RMC).

So, @Sixtylersix ...."early 60's" would be a pretty reasonable descriptor of yours, methinks.

But I think RMC dropped the brand Indiana. When, I guess when the inventory was sold. For c 20 years ago I had contact with a guy that had worked on Martin. He told me that they just did Indiana saxes for some weeks. They were told to put away the tools for "The Martin ..... (Comm) and just built Indiana saxes. I don't know if this is true? RMC made "The Imperial" and "The Medalist" and they also owned Blessing, Reynolds ... so I guess Martin made saxes for these companies as well.

I also like Indiana saxes. "Chief of all" !!!!!
chief.jpg

Back
Top Bottom