Hearing protection

Taz

Busking Oracle
I can't remember seeing a similar thread so I thought I'd start one anyway. I'm curious to know if anyone else suffers with their hearing. I've had a problem with my right ear for quite a few years. It is gradually getting worse and I do worry about the thought of finally losing my hearing in that ear. It hasn't got to the point where I need hearing aids, but it may well come to that fairly soon. I know that many of you have mentioned that you suffer from Tinnitus. This is something that has driven me mad, especially after going to or playing at a loud gig, and as I'm doing that most week ends nowadays I thought it was about time I invested in some protection. I thought I'd test out a fairly cheap and cheerful type first, so I bought a set of Alpines. They are a generic fit, in other words one size should fit all, and they come with three clever little filters. The filters are colour coded and depend on the amount of noise that you are being subjected to. I tried the Silver filter first, and although it did protect my ears quite a lot, I soon upgraded to the gold ones. You must remember that I don't play with a pub band, these guys are serious stuff and we use an 8000 watt PA system...Now that's loud! I SAID THATS LOUD:))) So after I changed the filter to the Gold one what was it like? Well I was quite amazed. I thought that I would have a problem hearing myself play but the sound of the sax drifted effortlessly through the filter and was a pleasure to listen to. I could hear the vocals, the harmonies, in fact I could hear everything very clearly, just at a very comfortable level. And when the gig was over? No bells, no whistles, and no screeching howls in my ears....AH...Bliss. What I want to know is does any one else use any form of protection (OOOH Er Mrs..... (just for you Jules) whilst they are on stage, and here's a picture of the ones I use. I got a fair amount of chainge from £20 for these, so I was well pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Great item i must say,i want some,I SAID I WANT SOME,I got bad tinnitus in my left lug hole,I SAID THE LEFT 1.It drive's me nut's at time's,to many year's with to many LOUD GUITAR PLAYER'S,YES THE TWIDDLE YA FINGER'S ALL THE TIME BRIGADE.They cant stop playing when your trying to talk,AGHHHHHHHHHHH.It's all there fault,YES YOU'S!!!!!!!!!

chadders

Those Alpines look the biz !! - I have used foam ear plugs and the wax, squashy ones previously - neither of which is satisfactory but both of which are much better that a couple of days of load whistling in my lugholes following a concert. I think I might investigate those further.

Its my right ear which is the main problem. Started as a perforated ear drum when I was a youngster. I need to use ear plugs to cut down loud noise, but my ear can be a bit sensitive to having the airway blocked. So sometimes I do yelp when inserting them !!

I have mild tinnitus but I have learnt to live with it, especially since I realised it was tuned to B an octave and a 7th above middle C. Its a good reference point.

Chad

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
I have mild tinnitus but I have learnt to live with it, especially since I realised it was tuned to B an octave and a 7th above middle C. Its a good reference point.

Chad
:))):))):))) An in built tuner, how cool is that!!:))) On a more serious note, I find these very comfortable and I've got quite sensitive lugs too. Give them a try, what you got to loose....your hearing?

Moz

I too use ear defenders. I use the same ones I use when on my motorbike to keep down wind noise. They are yellow (unfortunately) and are called Earsoft. They can be bought from any motorcycle dealer or online and cost about 50p a pair. I buy them in bundles of 50 pairs so cost me about 20p a pair. I find that in a loud environment they allow me to hear normal conversations and if I am on stage they allow me to hear myself play partly through the sound coming through my skull as much as round the outside. As someone who has always suffered with 'clipping' (basically this is sound saturation wherein no matter how loud someone shouts in a noisy location I still can't distinguish what they are saying) I find them invaluable. The effectiveness can be varied by just pulling them out a little.

Martin

Pee Dee

Oh no! First a hernia, and now I have a bit of tinnitus too! And I've only been playing for less than 2 years, on my own, in the spare bedroom. Been in a swing band about 3 months, where will it all end? Do your teeth drop out as well? Is it really worth it? Of course it is:sax:

Pjonah

I have it too, Tinnitus that is!

I remember a gig in a tiny pub some years ago, as a seven piece we struggled to fit in the bar.

I had to stand directly in front of the main speakers and like someone already memtioned, our guitarist just couldn't stop rackin up the anti throughout the night. By the end of the gig I was in serious pain...it took a good few months to get back to an acceptable level of ringing.

I think short of playing with a big set of bins on for fold back, the plugs sound the next best thing.:welldone

Tutorials
Top Bottom